2019 Holy Land Tour
2019 Dates of Study Tour:
Tuesday May 14th - Wednesday June 5th
Offering more than a typical tour, the Saint John's Holy Land Program sets study of the biblical sources of our faith within the unique combination of study, pilgrimage, and prayer. Students venture to biblical and early Christian holy sites in Israel, and Palestine, places frequented by Christian pilgrims for over 1,700 years.
In order to ensure affordability and to foster an authentic encounter with the Church in the Holy Land, the group will stay in monasteries and religious houses whenever possible. Space in the study tour group is limited- we encourage early application.
Your instructor and guide will be New Testament specialist Fr. Michael Patella, OSB, professor at Saint John's University School of Theology and Seminary. His course expands the Biblical text by emphasizing the culture, geography, history, archaeology, and people of the Holy Land. Through his instruction, students and pilgrims will experience the world of Sacred Scripture in the lands which gave birth to the Bible. All students participate fully in the readings, site visits, and discussions.
The Holy Land Study Tour Pilgrimage for 2019 will include the Christian and monastic sites of northern Egypt.
Tuesday, 14 May
- Depart USA for Tel Aviv
Wednesday-Monday, 15 – 20 May,
- Arrive: Tour both upper and lower Galilee
Monday-Wednesday, 20-22 May
- Bethlehem and environs
Wednesday – Saturday, 22 May – 1 June
- Jerusalem and environs
Saturday – Tuesday, 1–4 June
- Cairo: Old Cairo, Giza Pyramids, Wadi Natrun
Wednesday, 5 June
- Return USA
2019 Program Fees
The cost ranges from $4600 - $5100, depending on the number of participants. The price includes:
- Double occupancy accommodations in religious guesthouses in Israel and Palestine; first-class hotel in Cairo
- Breakfast and dinner each day of the program
- All entry fees
- Licensed guide
- All land transportation
- Airfare between Tel Aviv and Cairo
The price does not include:
- Round-trip airfare between the US and Israel/Egypt
- Daily lunch, water, and beverages
- Expenses of a personal nature
(Variable rate depends on single or double occupancy, graduate or undergraduate program, currency fluctuations, unforeseen fuel surcharge, and number of participants.)
*Participants must be enrolled in the course and pay the applicable tuition rate for graduate credits or undergraduate credits.
Questions about the itinerary and program itself, please contact:
Fr. Michael Patella, OSB, Holy Land Study Tour Coordinator
Saint John's School of Theology and Seminary
P.O. Box 7288, Collegeville, MN 56321
- A one-page essay describing how this program can help you fulfill your personal and professional goals and objectives.
- Official transcripts if applicant is seeking credit.
- Two recommendations from educational or professional contacts*
* For clergy and religious: One recommendation must come from the bishop or major superior
Online Recommendation Form (Email this link to those writing recommendations for you.)