Saint John’s University Alumni and Friends Select Top 10 SJU Stories of 2016
January 18, 2017
Thank you to alumni and friends who voted for their favorite Saint John's University stories of 2016. After compiling your votes, here are the top ten stories of the year:
- SJU Listed Highly in Multiple National Rankings: Money Magazine named Saint John's #25 on its list of Best Colleges. Saint John's was the only school from Minnesota in the top 25. In the U.S. News ranking of National Liberal Arts Colleges, Saint John's University tied for 77th (up two spots from last year) out of 239 colleges. In the Washington Monthly national rankings of liberal arts colleges, Saint John's ranked 32nd (up 50 spots from last year) out of 239 colleges.
- Saint John's Carter Hanson Awarded Gagliardi Trophy and Named Campbell Finalist: As recipient of the Gagliardi Trophy, Hanson '17 was honored as the season's top Division III football player in the country and for excellence in athletics, academics and community service. And as one of 12 finalists for the William V. Campbell Trophy, Hanson earned an $18,000 postgraduate scholarship.
- Gagliardi Field Dedication: The dedication ceremony for Gagliardi Field, multi-purpose sports facility for year-round use, took place on Nov. 5. Gagliardi Field is located at the site of the previous football practice field - a place where John spent much of his coaching career.
- Saint John's Dedicates Becker Park and Lynch Plaza as Johnnies Advance to National Playoffs: The new home of Johnnie baseball, which advanced to the national playoffs in 2016, was dedicated on May 7. Becker Park is named in honor of Scott Becker '77, his wife, Julie Hartman Becker, and their family. Lynch Plaza honors Pat Lynch '88.
- Saint John's University Solar Farm Expands: This year's solar farm expansion grows the energy-producing farm by 23 acres and increases solar energy production at Saint John's, moving Saint John's closer to its goal of achieving carbon neutrality.
- Alcuin Library and Learning Commons Groundbreaking: SJU celebrated the groundbreaking of the Alcuin Library redesign and construction of the Learning Commons in April. After years of planning, designing and fundraising, construction began on the new academic heart and soul of the campus.
- Donald Jackson Receives a Top Vatican Honor: Donald Jackson, MVO, the artistic director and scribe for The Saint John's Bible, received one of the highest honors bestowed upon laypeople by the Vatican as he was inducted into the Order of St. Gregory the Great, a papal knighthood granted for outstanding service to the Catholic Church.
- Saint John's Ryan Bugler Wins NCAA Steeplechase Title: For the third time, a Saint John's University student-athlete won the men's 3,000-meter steeplechase title at the NCAA Division III Outdoor Track and Field Championships.
- Sammy Schmitz '03 Played in the Masters Golf Tournament: Sammy Schmitz '03 teed off in the 2016 Masters Golf Tournament on April 7. A large group of Johnnies was there cheering him on behind the ropes.
- 2017 Johnnie-Tommie Game to be Played at Target Field: It was announced that the 2017 Saint John's-Saint Thomas football game, scheduled for 1 p.m. on Sept. 23, 2017, will be held at Target Field in Minneapolis, home of Major League Baseball's Minnesota Twins.