Cavanaugh '81 Honored with Caritas Award
May 1, 2011
The Caritas (transl. "love for all people") Awards are deeply rooted in Benedictine values, recognizing the work of four distinguished members of the CSB/SJU community and their commitment to service and social justice. Established in 1995 through the generosity of an anonymous SJU donor, the awards continue our commitment to social change, justice, and peace.
Each year, one Saint John's alumnus, one Saint Benedict's alumna, and two upper class students - one from each campus - are selected to receive this award for their commitment to social change and justice. Each alum designates a volunteer organization to receive a $1,500 cash award in his or her name; each student designates a volunteer organization to receive a $500 cash award in his or her name.
The Selection Process
Early in the spring semester, call for nominations is issued to CSB/SJU students, staff, and faculty. In determining the recipients of this award, the Caritas Awards Committee considers the following:
- The candidate's connection to Benedictine vision and values, specifically:
- Listen and incline the ear of your heart
- Let all things be common to all
- Take care of the sick, the old, children, the poor, pilgrims
- Help those in trouble
- Seek God's justice and never despair of God's mercy
- The candidate's ability to not only fix problems but create positive change.
- The candidate's ability to challenge and confirm our community's beliefs about the value of service and social justice.
The Award Event
The Caritas Awards Committee has named Ashley Weinhandl (CSB '11), Christopher Morgan (SJU '11), Ann Nicklawske McGee (CSB '86), and Joseph Cavanaugh (SJU '81) the recipients of the 2011 Caritas Awards.
Please join us to celebrate these distinguished members of our community at the Caritas Awards Ceremony on May 6th. Our keynote speaker will be Fr. Rene McGraw, OSB, Associate Professor of Philosophy and Peace Studies. All are welcome to attend!
THE CARITAS AWARDS CEREMONY
Friday, May 6th 2011
5:30 P.M. - Social
6:00 P.M. - Awards Program
Alumni Lounge, SJU Quad