Housing Selection Overview
We hold Housing Selection in late March or early April. In this process, students select on-campus housing, and a limited number of students may select off-campus housing. Students select housing by class cohort: rising seniors, rising juniors, and rising sophomores. A class cohort is a group of students who first enrolled at St. John's in the same year. We determine and assign selection times for eligible participants by a cohort-based random number assignment. Times are computer-assigned. Participants with a lower number in their cohort get an earlier selection time within that cohort.
- March 1 – Requests for Housing Accommodations through Student Accessibility Services are due.
- March 1 – Housing intent forms are due via the Housing Portal.
- March 15 – Off-Campus Living eligibility is determined. Residential Life sends ineligibility letters via email. Students in the B1 cohort not notified of ineligibility may participate in the General Exemption Lottery.
- March 18 – Documentation for Student Accessibility Services is due.
- March 29 - Pre-Selection List opens. The deadline to submit an SJU Housing Pre-Selection Form is Friday, April 1, 11:59 pm.
- April 1 - Pre-selection form due. We send out pre-selection offers after the form closes.
- April 12 - Off-Campus Living Selection (Seniors Only; 4-Person Groups Only); Access times granted to students with numbers 1 - 1400.
- April 14 - Seniors Only 4-Person Apartment Selection; Access times granted to students with numbers 1 - 1400.
- April 19 - Seniors Only 6-Person Apartment Selection; Access times granted to students with numbers 1 - 1400.
- April 21 - General Junior/Senior Selection; Access times granted to students with numbers 1 - 2100.
- April 22 - General Sophomore Selection; Access times granted to students with numbers 2101 - 2800.
Housing Selection Eligibility
To be eligible to select housing, students must:
- Complete the SJU Fall 2022 Housing Intent & Housing Agreement Form via the Housing Portal at least 24 hours before room selection participation.
- Register for Fall 2022 classes at least 24 hours before room selection participation.
See Housing Options by Class Cohort.
- Junior and Senior students are eligible to live in campus apartments.
- Sophomores and First-Year students are not eligible to live in campus apartments.
Saint John's has a limited number of single rooms available to students. Rising juniors and seniors groups can select single rooms during the Junior/ Senior General Housing Selection. Sophomores interested in single rooms should sign up for the pre-selection waitlist. Students unable to select a single room should find a roommate or group but can sign up for a waitlist. Single rooms are not guaranteed to become available.
Helpful Information and Guides
- SJU Housing Selection 2022-2023 Frequently Asked Questions.pdf
- 2022-2023 Campus Housing Agreement and Addendum.pdf
- Step by Step Guide to Room Selection.pdf - This guide is from 2021, but the process is identical except for the difference in the term.
- How to Set a Proxy - This video is from 2019, but the process is identical except for the difference in the term.
- How to Select Roommates - This video is from 2019, but the process is identical except for the difference in the term.
Navigating Housing Portal Challenges
Contact SJU Residential Life and Housing with questions and concerns at [email protected] or 320-363-3512.