At SJU Dining Service, we believe that all work is of value and is to be respected. Each position offers its own opportunities for the development of transferable skills. We provide a valuable service of providing food and hospitality for the community and our guests.
Why Work in Dining Service?
- Meet fellow students and make friends (over 100 students work at SJU Dining Service).
- Make money.
- Work with other student employees as a team.
- Work shifts are scheduled around your classes and other activities by student managers.
- Opportunities for advancement - cashier positions, supervisor, intern, and management positions available after one or two semesters of successful employment.
- Have fun while you work!
What Jobs Will I be Doing?*
- Refectory Dining Service Associate (Blue Crew) - working as a team member in the dish room to provide clean and sanitary dishes, utensils, pans, pots, and dishware for the customers of the Dining Service. Also responsible for stocking milks and cleanup of dining room at end of shift.
- Refectory Student Line Cooks - assisting cooks, bakers, and salad departments with preparation, line service, and cleanup of meals. Responsibilities may include food preparation, following recipes and instructions. May work on hot grills, fryers, meat cutters, tomato slicer, etc. and cleanup of areas at the end of shift.
- Refectory Student Sanitation Specialist/ Custodial - performing custodial duties including cleaning, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, and other projects assigned by supervisors to help keep the Dining Service spaces clean and neat.
- Refectory Student Events/ Catering Associate - assisting catering crew with set- up, service and take- down of events on campus. Some late evening shifts are required.
- Refectory Student Warehouse Associate - receiving orders, stocking and distributing products for use in main kitchen. Driver's license and working early morning shifts are required for this position.
- Refectory Cashier- handling transactions for customers eating at dining facilities.
- Refectory Student Baker - baking St. John's bread and other bakery products. Duties also include cleanup of areas at the end of shift, other duties as assigned by supervisors.
- Retirement Center Associate- assembling and serving food to our Abbey monastic retirement center residents.
- Sexton Student Dining Service Associate - preparing fast foods for customers, cleaning dishes and keeping Sexton Dining clean, keeping coolers and shelves full of products.
*Actual work assignments will depend on your class schedule, your other activities, and the job openings that are available. Some assignments will vary from shift to shift while others will work in the same area each time.
Two Easy Steps to Get a Job in Dining Services
- Fill out the online application - Student Employment Application
- Contact Adria Gillitzer, Administrative Manager and Dietitian, via email [email protected] or phone (320)-363-3489 or the student managers at [email protected].
Once you secure employment with us, check out the SJU Dining Service Student Employment Handbook for everything you need to know about your new job. (Don't forget to fill out the handbook receipt, which is necessary to begin employment with SJU Dining Service.)