SJU Dining Service Internship Application
SJU Dining Service Management Internship
Examples of areas of concentration:
- Health and Wellness
- Communications and Marketing
- Sexton Commons
This position encourages the incorporation of related class room experience, personal campus knowledge and SJU resources to effectively promote the SJU Dining Service department. This person will work closely with Dining staff and will be responsible for: planning and implementing new programs and promotional events, conducting research about food products and customer trends, assisting with allergen awareness and signage, facilitating safety training for student employees, managing the SJU Dining Service promotions and Facebook page, and/ or other tasks as assigned by management. There is a wide scope of activities related to this position and the student will be involved in day to day operational items as well as goals and plans as it relates to the strategic growth of the department.
Basic Qualifications & General Information
- Internship is available to juniors or seniors. Internship duration is typically one year in length.
- Preference may be given to students enrolled in the following programs: Nutrition, Environmental Studies, Global Business, Management, and Communications.
- Applicants must have worked a minimum of one semester in SJU Dining Service.
- Intern will work approximately 12- 15 hours per week and the schedule will vary depending upon the week's dining events. Consistent, daily attendance is required.
- Student will coordinate internship credits with the Internship Program department, if desired.
- SJU Dining Service will provide necessary supplies and use of a computer in order to complete all duties and tasks.
- The intern will be required to act and dress in a professional manner when representing SJU Dining Service.
- This is a paid internship, meals not included.
- High skill level for developing marketing materials using Microsoft Office and other design programs.
- Ability to work independently to prioritize and manage multiple projects/ activities.
- Outgoing personality; enjoys interacting with others and learning new skills.
- Retail/ dining/ customer service experience is a plus.
- Strong collaboration skills; capable of working with various levels of staff and students.
- Attention to detail and ability to measure program baseline and success.
Duties (will vary based on area of concentration)
- Work closely with the Dietitian, Executive Chef, Sexton Manager, Operations Manager, Dining Service Director, and other Student Managers to develop, plan, implement, and execute promotions for all special dining events on campus.
- Manage information presented on Facebook and campus bulletin board, update comments and implement suggestions, correct issues as they arise, and create informative campaigns to be proactive in addressing guest concerns.
- Conduct general marketing research to ensure correct competitive positioning in the market. This includes retail pricing, local consumer trends and new local competition as it relates to our individual markets.
- Design and produce marketing and/ or nutrition education materials, including signs, posters, coupons, brochures, mailings, and table tents advertisements.
- Coordinate and execute at least one promotional event or theme meal per semester.
- Complete any documentation necessary if this is in conjunction with the school for class credits. Keep the Dietitian updated with deadlines and meetings to ensure proper credit.
- Perform operations duties when deemed necessary in the department. This includes supervising Dining Service at least one shift/ week (shift times vary).
- Assist in scheduling focus groups or surveys with various groups on campus to gain customer feedback.
- Facilitate safety training for all student employees and monitor compliance.
- Keep a detailed record and photographs of all activities and analyze the success/ failures of each to be better prepared for future events.
- Attend the weekly management meeting and other various meetings with SJU Dining Service management staff or other people as necessary for development.
- Other duties may be assigned as needs arise.
- Delivers with speed and accuracy.
- Creates innovative and professional ideas and materials.
- Successful execution of programs and events.
For more information, contact:
Administrative Manager and Dietitian
SJU Dining Service
31802 County Road 159
Collegeville, MN 56321
(320) 363- 3489
Sorry, this form is unavailable at this time.