A. Waiver of Rights and Release of Liability Agreement
1. I acknowledge that participation in the Retreat entails known and unknown risks that may result in physical or emotional injury, disability, death, personal injury to me, damage or loss of my property, or to other persons or parties or their property. I understand that such risks cannot be eliminated without jeopardizing the essential qualities and purpose of the Retreat. I expressly agree and promise to accept and assume all of the risks that relate to participation in the Retreat. My participation in the Retreat is voluntary and I elect to participate in the Retreat in full recognition of all known or unknown risks whether or not the same may be reasonably anticipated.
2. I and on behalf of myself, my parents, any guardian, spouse, heirs, successors, assigns, personal representative and estate, forever discharge, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless the College of Saint Benedict (“CSB”) and Saint John’s University (“SJU”), and all related corporations, divisions, Program Directors, officers, staff, employees, agents, volunteers, participants, and all other persons or entities acting in any capacity on behalf of the Retreat (“Related Parties”) from any and all claims, demands, or causes of action or liability of any kind whatsoever, which results from, arises out of or is in any way connected with my participation in the Retreat.
3. As a participant in a Retreat through CSB/SJU, I understand and agree that I have a continuing obligation to conform my conduct with all CSB/SJU policies as represented in the J-Book and Bennie Book.
4. I understand that CSB/SJU, and the Retreat cannot and will not provide me with 24 hour supervision while I am a participant in this Retreat. I acknowledge that I will have periodically the opportunity and independence to leave the activities of the Retreat, and when I elect to do so I am responsible for informing the Retreat Director and/or any other official representative of the Retreat of my plans to travel included, but not limited to, the time, destination, mode of travel and companions. I understand that neither the Retreat nor CSB/SJU are responsible for non-Program travel including travel prior to the start date of the Retreat or after the end date of the Retreat and I assume full and complete responsibility for my own supervision and all associated risks.
5. I understand that CSB/SJU and the Retreat cannot assume responsibility for the actions of persons not employed or otherwise engaged by CSB/SJU or the Retreat, for events that are not part of the Retreat. This also includes events that are beyond the control of CSB/SJU, the Retreat, and any persons engaged by the Retreat for situations that may arise because a participant, including me, fails to disclose important and pertinent information.
B. Program Change, Modification, Cancellation and Fee Policies
1. I am responsible for any and all required payments, charges and fees applicable to the Retreat and my participation. I have read the Cancellation Policies of the Retreat and I agree to abide by them and pay or reimburse the Program for any fees or amounts due the Program under any and all circumstances. If I decide to cancel my participation, I must notify CGE in writing.
2. In the event that CSB/SJU, or anyone acting on behalf of the Program is required to incur any costs, including reasonable attorney's fees, to enforce this Agreement or to pay any amount resulting from injury or damage to myself, my property, or Program property, I agree to indemnify and hold those entities or persons harmless from all related fees and costs.
3. I understand that CSB/SJU, with its affiliates, reserves the right to make cancellations, changes or substitutions to the Program in cases of emergency or changed conditions or in the general interest of the Program. CSB/SJU will provide me with as much advance notice as reasonable, under the circumstances, of any intention to cancel or substantially change the Program for which I have applied. I understand that CSB/SJU, the overseas host/guest institution, or the foreign government may prematurely cancel the Program even after I have arrived in the foreign country. In that event, CSB/SJU will make a good faith effort to mitigate expenses. In the event of such occurrence, I understand that I may be responsible for certain expenses.
4. CSB/SJU and the Program shall bear no responsibility or liability for any losses or claims incurred by me in connection with an early cancellation of the Program. If I decide to remain in the foreign country after premature Program cancellation initiated by CSB/SJU or the Program, I understand that I will be required to bear full responsibility and all liability for my own care and safety and that I shall release CSB/SJU and the Program from any responsibility or liability.
5. If I decide to leave the Program before its official end date, I will provide the Program Director and CGE with reasonable advance written notice of my intention to leave the Program and the applicable effective date. If I leave the Program prior to the end date, CSB/SJU and the Program will have no responsibility or liability related to providing or arranging transportation, housing, dining or any other services related to my early departure. The decision to leave the Program early may affect the academic grade and credit I receive for the Program.