Man of Extraordinary Service Award
The Man of Extraordinary Service is presented to students who exhibit "Caritas," a Christian or Christ-like love for others. Caritas is more than a feeling of positive regard or care for others for it always leads to the outpouring or giving of oneself through service to others which provides healing or builds them up and honors their dignity as persons who bear the image and likeness of God. Caritas is most commonly extended to persons or communities in need, to those who are treated as of lesser value because of some condition in their life.
The Man of Extraordinary Service Award seeks to encourage and honor Johnnies who demonstrate Caritas through their service to others while enrolled at Saint John's University. Caritas Extraordinary Service may begin in a variety of ways such as through an academic service-learning requirement; through volunteer service related to student development programming, through a work program, or through self-initiative with an external agency or even through no agency at all; but it shows a personal commitment that goes beyond expectations in one or more of the following characteristics:
- Demonstrates a personal commitment to service which builds or extends community through Benedictine Values and/or
- Demonstrates a personal commitment to service which promotes justice through one or more of the seven principles of Catholic Social Teaching
- Demonstrates a significant investment of personal time and/or talent
- Demonstrates significant impact on the beneficiaries of service that is consistent with Benedictine Values and/or principles of Catholic Social Teaching
- Demonstrates the ability to collaborate or work with others so as to accomplish a greater good
- Demonstrates thoughtful reflection about service in light of Benedictine Values and/or Catholic Social Teaching
Two awards will be given this year to two upperclassmen (Sr., Jr.). Each Man of Extraordinary Service will receive an award for their demonstrated commitment to service. A student may only receive this award once during his time at SJU.
The Selection Process
Early in the spring semester, a call for nominations is issued to CSB/SJU students, staff, faculty, and the monastic community. In determining the recipients of this award, the Man of Extraordinary Service Award Selection Committee considers the above characteristics.
After being nominated, the students will be required to write one 300 - 700 word essay collectively answering the following questions:
- What are the service activities that have been most important to you and/or the Saint John's Community? (relating to self-initiated service, academic service, campus/student life service, and work related service)
- Why is this work important to you?
- How does your service work connect with the Benedictine Values and/or Catholic Social Teaching?
Nominees must also submit a copy of their résumé listing their service experience in the following three categories: Self-Initiated, Academic, and Work.
2020 Nomination Form Nominations being accepted January 20, 2020, through February 10, 2020
- 2020 Application Form (to be completed by Johnnies who have been nominated) Completed Application is due 8:00 a.m. on Monday, February 17, 2020.
Pictured: Muqkadeen Poole, Michael Kelly, Simeon Farquharson, and Will Gillach
Brian Vander Heiden