Vietnamese Student Association Constitution
CONSTITUTION of the CSB/SJU Vietnamese Student Association
Article I: Name and Purpose
The name of this organization is the Vietnamese Student Association, hereafter, VSA
Section 2: Purpose/Mission
CSB/SJU VSA is non-politically biased, and secular club whose purpose is to instill and maintain a spirit of community among Vietnamese and students interested in Vietnamese cultures at the College of Saint Benedict | St. John's University. VSA orients around social and cultural topics of Vietnam to preserve the Vietnamese culture and heritage.
Mission: VSA as a club will provide opportunities for entertainment with the intention to enhance the understanding of Vietnamese language, history, art, religion, music, cuisine, literature, architecture, fashion and dance to students at CSB/SJU and in the community.
Section 3: Affiliation
VSA is affiliated with UNAVSA (United North American Vietnamese Student Association), UVSA in the Midwest and VSA at SCSU. UNAVSA consists of all VSA, affiliation with them means we are kept up to date on events and are eligible to attend these events.
UNAVSA Mission: to empower emerging community leaders within the Vietnamese community.
Article II: Membership
Section 1: Eligibility for Membership
Any person at CSB/SJU may join the Association by expressing an interest to the Executive Committee. All CSB/SJU students are eligible for membership.
Section 2: Voting Member Criteria
Student must be a club member to vote. Voting process occurs towards the end of the semester.
Section 3: Removal of Members
Members with inappropriate behavior (i.e. harassment or racism) at club meetings and club events will be given a warning. After the first warning, club presidents have the right to remove person's club membership.
Article III: Officers
Section 1: Officer Qualifications
A passion in upbringing the future of VSA, must be responsible and accountable, and must be a current club member.
Section 2: Elected Officers
Each position will be fulfilled by a CSB student and a SJU student to insure the shared responsibilities between two institutions or if one were absent the other could take their place.
Section 3: Duties of Officers
- In charge at all club meetings
- Call meetings, both general and executive, to order and dismiss them
- Organize elections and tally votes (with the exception of those involving him or her)
- Run and manage board and general meetings
- Contact other clubs to collaborate for different events
- Review the constitution as soon as elected each semester to keep the document current
- Plan presentation and schedule speaking events for the club
- Manage websites, send emails, and take accurate meeting notes (both general and executive)
- Meeting minutes (notes) should be sent within 3 days after the meeting
- Disseminates notes of meetings to appropriate personnel
- May appoint a proxy record-keeper if unable to attend particular meetings
- Keep a detailed document of all club meetings and club events
- Keep current and accurate data on VSAs financial situation. Any of the information regarding VSA's financial situation should be made available for the Executive Committee when requested
- Is responsible for the collection of dues, and for submitting monthly audits
- Collect money at fundraising events, and is in charge of overseeing all other monetary transactions, either in person or by designated proxy.
- There will be one main treasurer; the other will fill in when the main treasurer is unable to fulfill these tasks
- Create and hang up posters for club events
- Design and make club t-shirts
- Keep and updated club website
- Take pictures at club events, either in person or by designated proxy
Campus Events Coordinators
- Plan and organize club events
- Collaboration with other clubs and organizations on CSB/SJU campus and in the community
- Keep a detailed record of club planning logistics
- Contact people for all events unless indicated otherwise
Section 4: Vacancy in Office
In the occurrence of an office vacancy the president will fill in for the missing representative and fulfill their roles. The purpose of having two officers for each position will hopefully minimize the impact when there's a vacancy in office. If the president were to be vacant, the other president will fill in. If both presidents are vacant, treasurer will hold the meetings while waiting for a special election for new presidents. If all board members are vacant, the most senior member of club will hold special elections.
Section 5: Removal of Officers
The club as a whole shall have the sole power of impeachment of an officer with a two-thirds (2/3) majority votes.
Article IV: Elections
Section 1: Nomination Process
Club members will self-nominate or volunteer to take a position. If there is more than one person desiring the same position, the voting process will take over. The officers will be selected by a simple majority vote, of all those members present and voting.
Officers also cannot hold the same position for more than two terms, unless there are no volunteers then the current position remains.
Section 2: Election
VSA will use the ballot system. Each club member is eligible for one vote. The candidate with the most number of votes wins.
Section 3: Special Elections
In case of a vacancy in office, please refer to Article III Section 4.
Article V: Advisor
Section 1: Selection
The faculty advisor must have a background in Vietnamese culture and/or experience with the Vietnamese community. The advisor must be a representative of the College of Saint Benedict and Saint Johns University Faculty/Staff/Administration.
Section 2: Duties
Meet with the club presidents monthly to update on the current statuses and progress of the club.
Article VI: Meetings
Section 1: Regular Meeting/Club Activities
Board members - Once a week on Mondays 7PM
Members - Once a week on Tuesdays 7PM
Section 2: Special Meetings
When we have an event coming, club presidents will have the rights to schedule extra meetings to practice, set up, and clean up before and after the event.
Section 3: Parliamentary Authority
The meetings will have an agenda provided by the Secretary. At the end of the meeting, each item on the agenda should be talked about. When there's an event that comes up, the priority of meetings will go toward that upcoming event.
Section 4: Quorum
Any decisions decided by VSA will default to having 2/3 majority votes, unless stated otherwise
Article VII: Committees
Section 1: Committee Structure
The Executive Committee includes all officers. All other members are part of the club.
Article VIII: Finances
Section 1: Co-Funding Board
VSA is a joint club between the CSB and SJU institutions. The treasurers will be responsible to submit the budget proposal at the end of the semester to be eligible for funding in the upcoming semester and apply for CFB monies along with following all rules and regulations.
Section 2: Honorariums
Yes. Trophies/ribbons/certificates will be awarded for members who participate in specific club events.
Section 3: Dues (optional)
Article IX: Amendments
Section 1: Ratification
Amendments are approved through discussions among all club members and approval by club advisor.
Section 2: Submittal to Department of Student Activities and Joint Club Board
Any changes made to this constitution must be submitted to the Department of Student Activities and the JCB.
The Vietnamese Student Association admits students without regard to their race, religion, color, sex, age, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and other activities, generally accorded or made available to members of the organization.
The Vietnamese Student Association considers hazing to be a degrading and destructive activity, which is inconsistent with the standards of this student organization. The Vietnamese Student Association recognizes the dignity of every person and opposes all forms of hazing.