SJU Lifting Club Constitution
The goal of this club is to allow lifters of all experience levels to come together and help each other continue to better themselves in the gym. The club should benefit less experienced lifters much more, but the club will also give more experienced lifters a chance to compete at a higher level.
Eligibility for membership
- Voting member: In order to be a voting member, one must be a SJU student and exercise at least 3 times a week with at least one other member of the club. The member must also set a specific target for their training and report it to a leader, co leader or officer. This goal can be anything from powerlifting to physique. Lastly, they must join a group chat to communicate their ideas for the club.
- Non-voting member/affiliate: Anyone can join the club as an affiliate
- If a member needs to be removed it will be voted by the club. 2/3rds vote
- Any member can be voted in as an officer but there can only be 5 officers. Although officers should be very knowledgeable in at least one area.
- The chain of command will be leader, co leader, officer, voting member, then affiliate.
- The leader and co leader are in charge of scheduling meetings, events, and run elections. Officers are in charge of informing members of meetings and events.
- If an officer needs to be removed a vote must be held and 2/3rds of the club must be in favor of the removal. In the case of a removal the club will follow with a vote for the new officer.
- Voting members can request to be an officer/leader. The leader and co leader will pick the nominees based on experience, then the members will vote for the officers.
- Voting will take place March 15th.
- All officers and leaders do not have to step down after so many terms. This is because the whole club is run as a democracy so being in power has little to no actual benefits.
- Voting will be anonymous.
- In the case of a resignation of either leaders or officers there will be a vote 2 weeks after.
The advisor will be the SJU Club Sports Commissioner.
- We will have meetings once a month on the first Thursday to check in with the club members on the direction of the club and any issues that it may have. We will also meet for voting which will be done during the 2nd meeting of the year. In order for the election meeting to be official 50% of the members must be present.
- Along with these monthly meetings, officers will set a specific time each semester that they will be available in the weight room to help less experienced lifters.
- All these meetings will have an email sent out at the start of the week to all SJU students with details on the meeting and the location.
This club will apply for funding from the athletic department.
In order to change an amendment in the constitution, the leaders must accept it. Any changes made to this constitution must be submitted to the Department of Student Activities and the JCB.
Equality and respect:
- The lifting club admits students without regard to their race, religion, color, sex, age, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and other activities, generally accorded or made available to members of the organization.
- The Lifting club considers hazing to be a degrading and destructive activity which is inconsistent with the standards of this student organization. The lifting club recognizes the dignity of every person and opposes all forms of hazing.
Made on 8/29/17
Last revised 2/13/18