CAMPUS ALERT: Due to the weather, all evening classes at CSB and SJU are canceled. The LINK bus will run on its regular schedule until 5 p.m. and then every hour on the hour for the remainder of the evening, weather permitting. Pre-scheduled campus and community events and college/university sponsored events scheduled at off campus locations may continue at the discretion of the divisional VP.
Joint Events Council Constitution
We, the Joint Events Council (JEC) of the College of Saint Benedict (CSB) and Saint John's University (SJU), hereby establish "The Constitution of the CSB/SJU Joint Events Council." The purpose of this document is to guide the JEC's actions in providing the students of the College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University with cultural, social, and educational events. Actions shall be in accordance to the conditions and intentions stated below.
Name and Purpose
The name of this organization shall be the "Joint Events Council" (JEC) of the College of Saint Benedict (CSB) and Saint John's University (SJU).
The purposes for which this council was formed:
A. To provide joint cultural, educational, and social events for the students of CSB/SJU.
B. To strive for the highest quality and variety in all events.
C. To ensure that events are equally distributed between the CSB/SJU campuses provided that proper resources are available.
D. To responsibly use the allocated student activity fee for the students of CSB/SJU.
E. To promote student interest in cooperation with the communities of CSB/SJU.
F. To help promote and foster leadership among CSB/SJU students.
Membership, Composition, Positions, and Responsibilities
The JEC shall, at all times, consist of student executive members, committee members, and an advisor. Each student member of the JEC shall hold JEC membership for one academic year, and may reapply for subsequent involvement. In the case of members studying abroad, please see Article 5, Section 4, Part C
The Executive Council shall be composed of eleven CSB/SJU students. The composition shall be as follows:
A. The Co-chairs must comprise of one member from CSB and one member from SJU. Co-chairs may not hold a position on either senate.
B. One member from the St. John's Senate (SJS) and one member from the St. Ben's Senate (SBS).
1. The SJS representative to the JEC shall be from the Student Services Committee (SSC) of the SJS, and may not hold the position of Chairperson of the SSC, Co-Chair of the JEC, or JEC Committee Chair. He shall hold the position of Co-treasurer, Auditor, and Parliamentarian of the JEC.
2. The SBS representative to the JEC may hold neither the position of Co-Chair of the JEC nor JEC Committee Chair. She shall hold the position of Co- Treasurer, Auditor and Parliamentarian of the JEC.
C. The seven remaining positions, four from CSB and three from SJU, or three from CSB and four from SJU shall be appointed in accordance with the appointment and interview procedures of Article V, Section I, and shall not be members of the SBS or SJS during their term as JEC Executive Board members.
D. The position of advisor shall be entitled to the Assistant Director of Student Activities and Leadership Development and selected by the institution's administration according to institutional procedures. The advisor shall sit on the JEC Core committee.
COUNCIL POSITIONS AND DUTIES
A. The JEC Executive Board shall consist of the following:
1. Co-Chairs - To represent the council to administration and ensure meetings are planned and effectively run. To interpret the JEC Constitution. To organize training and development of the council. To maintain responsibility for a working knowledge of the Executive Board's programming decisions and to encourage co-sponsorship of events with other on-campus organizations. To act as student delegates to maintain communication between JEC and the CSB/SJU community. To keep and distribute detailed minutes from weekly executive meetings. Responsible for office management, phone and computer access and messages. To act as a liaison between the JEC and the Cultural Affairs Board. Shall sit on the JEC Core committee.
2. Co-Treasurers - To aid in the development of a comprehensive budget describing in detail the expected expenses and revenue for each position throughout the year. To develop clear policies that members of the council must follow in order to ensure fair and accurate financial records. Although the treasurers are the chief financial officers of the JEC, the JEC Executive Board will share responsibilities for accounts and finances. Duties will be divided by committees. To maintain and adhere to an approved format of parliamentary procedure for JEC. Parliamentarians' interpretation may be appealed by any other JEC voting member, and overruled by a 2/3 vote. Shall sit on the JEC Core committee.
3. Public Relations/Marketing Chair - To actively and consistently work with all JEC Committees to promote their respective events. To provide the JEC's booth at Taste of Saints, and at Involvement on the Mall. The Website Coordinator will serve as and work with members of the Public Relations/Marketing Committee. To keep the website of the JEC updated, creative, and accessible to the student body. To be responsible for the Public Relations/Marketing Committee.
4. Concert Chair - To organize the JEC sponsored music festivals, small-scale musical performances, student talent, and negotiate contracts for musical performances. To be responsible for the Concert Committee.
5. Dance Chair - To organize theme and specialty, and formal dances for the campuses of CSB/SJU. To be responsible for the Dance Committee.
6. Expressive Arts Chair - To organize programs which may include such as debates, art contests, speakers, theater troupes, and cultural experiences for the students of CSB/SJU. To be responsible for the Expressive Arts Committee.
7. Films Chair - To organize all JEC sponsored big screen movies and all other film oriented events. Movies shall be chosen with consideration of the input of the student body. To be responsible for the Films Committee.
8. Late Nite Chair - To program at least one late night activity each month which provides alternatives to alcohol usage for the CSB/SJU community with special attention given to Thursday through Saturday nights. These events could include, but would not be limited to, game shows, hypnotists, and theme oriented nights. To be responsible for the Late Nite Committee.
9. Traditions Chair - To oversee coordination of Welcome Month, Spirit Week, and Little Sibling Weekend activities, and coordinate the JEC in traditional institutional events. To be responsible for the Traditions Committee.
B. The Core committee shall comprise of both co-chairs, the SBS Representative, the SJS Representative, and the advisor. Their duties shall include, but not be limited to, selection and budgeting.
C. Committee Members - Members of the JEC that work in conjunction with the Executive Board in order to successfully organize and execute programming. Members are required to follow committee guidelines established by their respective committee chair and the JEC Constitution. Required to attend all All-Council meetings.
EXECUTIVE COUNCIL RESPONSIBILITIES
A. All JEC Executive Board's responsibilities include:
1. Program events as appropriate to their committee's specialty.
2. Adhere to JEC Constitution.
3. Adhere to group goals and expectations.
4. Meet with JEC advisor as needed.
5. Maintain and have current knowledge of working budget.
6. Accept responsibility for the planning, promotion, execution, and evaluation of respective events.
B. Committee Chair responsibilities include:
1. Establish and conduct regular meetings with committee members (minimum of one per month).
2. Inform committee of working committee budget.
3. Develop training of committee members.
4. Delegation and supervision of committee actions.
5. Develop additional committee guidelines as deemed appropriate.
6. Submit an Event Notification Form (ENF) and Event Evaluation Form (EEF) for every event put on by their committee.
Meetings and Voting
A. One of the Co-Chairs shall alternately serve as chair of the JEC executive board meetings. If one Co-Chair is absent, the other will step in. In the event that both Co-Chairs are absent, a Parliamentarian will serve as chair. The Co-Chair who is not presiding over the meeting shall take the minutes of the meeting and distribute to the board two days before the next schedule meeting.
B. Must have a quorum of seven voting members.
C. In the event of an excused absence, the absent Executive Board Member is required to designate a proxy from their respective committee.
A. Each committee chair shall present programming ideas to the executive board at least four weeks prior to each event. The Executive Board shall vote on whether or not the committee should proceed with planning of the event, taking into consideration creativity, timing, and budget. If co-sponsorship opportunities arise with less than four weeks prior to the event, it shall be left to the discretion of the Co-Chairs, Advisors, and applicable Chair whether the event shall take place.
B. The Executive Board (excluding the presiding Co-Chair) will have voting rights.
C. The designated proxy may vote in place of the chair.
D. A majority vote will consist of ½ of the voting chairs plus one.
Mandatory Events/Meetings and Attendance Policy
A. The Joint Events Council Executive Board may deem an event/meeting mandatory. All mandatory events/meetings must be announced at least two weeks prior to that event/meeting
B. All JEC Executive Board Members are required to attend all JEC Executive meetings and other events/meetings deemed mandatory.
C. All JEC Committee Members are required to attend their respective committee meetings, All-Councils, and other events/meetings deemed mandatory by their Chair or the JEC Executive Board.
A. Any member unable to attend a mandatory event/meeting must inform the Chair or Co-Chair and advisor three days prior to the event/meeting.
1. The Chair or Co-Chair and advisor of the event/meeting decide if the absence of a JEC member is excused.
2. Failure to inform the event/meeting Chair or Co-Chair and advisor of absence will result in an unexcused absence.
B. One unexcused absence will result in a written formal warning from the JEC Co-Chairs.
C. A second unexcused absence will result in a review by the JEC Executive Board. The JEC Executive Board will determine action deemed necessary.
1. A 2/3 quorum is required for a meeting of review.
2. A 2/3 vote is needed for approval of action to be taken.
D. If not removed, member attendance status returns to one unexcused absence.
A. All CSB JEC members will act in accordance with Every Woman's Guide.
B. All SJU JEC members will act in accordance with the J-Book.
C. Failure to adhere to A or B will result in disciplinary action to be taken following the guidelines of Article V, Section 2, Part A.
Appointment Procedures, Disciplinary Actions and Resignation, Replacement, and Additions
A. All eleven appointments shall be made within the months of March or April
B. Announcements shall be made two weeks prior to selection.
C. The student body of both institutions shall be notified of the upcoming appointment proceedings simultaneously, and the required materials shall be available on both campuses.
D. All applicants, less than 50, shall be interviewed. In the event of more than 50 applicants, an alternative selection process may be devised by the Co-Chairs and Advisor for approval by the JEC Executive Board.
E. The interviewing panel shall consist of the following people:
1. The JEC representative of the SBS and the JEC representative of the SJS.
2. The two Co-Chairs.
3. The CAB representative.
4. In the event that one or all are attempting appointment to the JEC Executive Board, then another outgoing JEC Executive Board Member shall be elected as alternate (representing the same institution as the position reapplying).
5. The JEC Advisor, or his/her designee.
F. Upon completion of interviewing, the panel shall unite and appoint eleven Executive Members and their respective Committees.
DISCIPLINARY ACTIONS AND RESIGNATION
A. Disciplinary Actions:
1. JEC Member Impeachment procedures:
a. A motion to impeach a JEC member may be made by any voting Executive Board Member.
b. Any voting member of the Executive Board may initiate impeachment by addressing the issue at an Executive Board meeting. At this time a motion may be made and voted upon to decide if a special meeting for review by Executive Board Member shall be held (vote requires majority).
c. A closed session of the JEC Executive Board Members alone will be held. The member in question will not be present.
d. A vote of the JEC Executive Board Members, requiring the approval of two-thirds of quorum members, will be required for removal.
e. If impeachment does not result in removal, disciplinary action may be taken by Executive Board Members. Disciplinary action requires the approval of two-thirds of quorum Executive Board Members and the advisor.
B. Resignation of a position requires two weeks written notice to the Co-Chairs and Advisor, or his/her designee, prior to resignation.
A. Any vacancy of the Executive Board shall be filled by a student from the same institution as the vacating member
B. Vacancies shall be filled through the following procedure:
1. In the event of a vacating Co-Chair, the council shall operate as follows:
a. Meetings will be chaired by the remaining Co-Chair, not sustaining voting status.
b. The vacating Co-Chair shall be replaced within four weeks of departure, following the guidelines of Article V, Section 1, excluding A and B.
2. In the event of a vacating Executive Board Member, the following process will apply:
a. The vacating Executive Board member shall be replaced within four weeks of departure, following the guidelines of Article V, Section 1, excluding A, B and C.
b. The Co-Chair, from the same institution as the vacating chair, will assume the committee chair position until the newly appointed chair takes over. The Co-Chair will not sustain voting rights and will vote only as a committee chair.
c. The student body of the institution to which the vacating member belongs, shall be notified of the upcoming appointment proceedings, and the required materials shall be available on the respective campus.
4. In the event of a vacating Committee Member, the following process may apply:
a. An ad-hoc committee consisting of current JEC Members may select the replacement.
b. The vacating Committee Member may be replaced following the guidelines of Article V, Section 1, excluding A and E.
A. Additional Committee Members will be selected by an ad-hoc committee consisting of current JEC members
B. Additions will be made within three weeks of notification of position opening.
C. Students choosing to study abroad may apply during Spring Selection and fulfill their JEC duties when on campus.
A. The JEC shall receive 23% of the Student Activity Fees collected by the SBS and SJS.
B. The JEC Senate Representatives, Co-Chairs, and Advisor will prepare and present each spring, in conjunction with the entirety of the JEC Executive Board, a budget for the following year to the CFB.
C. Two percent of this budget shall be set aside for unexpected expenses.
D. The JEC shall insure responsible use of these funds through the following guidelines:
1. Maintain Budget accountability through:
a. The JEC Senate Representatives will submit monthly audits to the CFB on the status of all JEC accounts
b. The JEC Senate Representatives will give bi-weekly reports on the status and activity of the JEC budget.
c. The JEC Executive Board will prepare and attend all allocation proceedings that discuss the use of the flat percentage
d. The JEC Senate Representatives, Co-Chairs, and Advisor are responsible for insuring that the mission of the JEC is being fulfilled and that all JEC committees are receiving the necessary funds required to provide programming.
e. Both the SJS and SBS will be informed of the time and place of any and all JEC Executive Board meetings and their attendance will be encouraged and welcomed.
f. The JEC Advisor will provide an end-or-year budget report and weekly budget updates to the Director of Student Activities and Leadership Development and SALD staff and insure that the JEC makes financial decisions with the goals of responsible use of the Student Activity Fee and the betterment of a vibrant campus life.
g. The Entirety of the JEC Executive Board will make all financial decisions with to responsibly use the student activity fee in service to the student body.
2. Prevent the misuse of the Student Activity Fees through:
a. The JEC will remain responsible to report budgeting activity to the JEC Advisor.
b. The JEC advisor will remain responsible to report any budget negligence to the Vice-Presidents of Student Development.
c. The JEC Co-Chairs, Senate Representatives, and Advisor will be required to prepare and present an end-of-year report to both the SJS and SBS on the JEC's use of their budget, as well as any and all concerns or comments on the current funding system.
E. The CFB shall reserve the right to reexamine, reverse, or revoke the funding arrangement at any time through the same process in which is was initiated.
F. The JEC cannot fund other clubs or organizations unless they have sought SJS and SBS approval.
Bringing a motion to the Executive Board and having its approval by two-thirds of the quorum may amend this Constitution. Amendments must also be approved by a 2/3 vote of members present at an All-Council meeting
Origin, Revision, and Approvals
This document was created in the school year of nineteen hundred and seventy nine (1979).
1. This document was revised in August of the year nineteen hundred and ninety five (1995).
2. This document was revised in April of the year nineteen hundred and ninety six (1996).
3. This document was revised in April of the year nineteen hundred and ninety-nine (1999).
4. This document was revised in February of the year two thousand (2000).
5. This document was revised in March of the year two thousand and one (2001).
6. This document was revised in November of the year two thousand and one (2001).
7. This document was revised in February of the year two thousand and six (2006).
1. This Constitution has been approved by the JEC of CSB and SJU on the 29th of April of the year nineteen hundred and ninety six (1996).
2. This Constitution has been approved by the JEC of CSB and SJU on the 24th of February of the year two thousand (2000).
3. This Constitution has been approved by the JEC of CSB and SJU on the 1st of March of the year two thousand and one (2001).
4. This Constitution has been approved by the JEC of CSB and SJU on the 4th of December of the year two thousand and one (2001).
5. This Constitution has been approved by the JEC of CSB and SJU on the 19th of March of the year two thousand and three (2003).
6. This Constitution has been approved by the JEC of CSB and SJU on the 6th of December of the year two thousand and seven (2007).
1. This Constitution has been approved by the SBS on the 26th of March of the year two thousand and three (2003).
1. This constitution has been approved by the SJS on the 23rd of March of the year two thousand and three (2003).
The Joint Events Council admits students without regard to their race, religion, color, sex, age, sexual orientation or national or ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and other activities, generally accorded or made available to members of the organization.
The Joint Events Council considers hazing to be a degrading and destructive activity which is inconsistent with the standards of this student organization. The Joint Events Council the dignity of every person and opposes all forms of hazing.