SJU Volleyball Constitution
Article I. The Membership
The SJU Volleyball Club shall be open to any SJU student who expresses an interest or desire to play competitive volleyball. No honorariums may be awarded to club members from allocated funds.
Article II. Purpose
- Recognize that the purpose of athletics is to promote the physical, mental, moral, social, and emotional well-being of the individual players.
- Emphasize the proper ideals of sportsmanship, ethical conduct, and fair play.
- Encourage leadership, use of initiative, and good judgment by players on the team.
- Show cordial courtesy and hospitality to coaches, visiting teams, and officials.
- Achieve a thorough understanding and acceptance of the rules, standards of eligibility, and promotion of the sport of volleyball.
Article III. The Election Process of Officers
Qualifications for candidates
- Must be a player on the team.
- Must be willing to accept all duties that are necessary of the position.
- Faculty members are not qualified to be an officer because all officers should be present at all practices and events. Our fluctuation schedule would make it nearly impossible for anyone but a team member to always be present
B. Election Process
- Team members nominate candidates based on strong potential for team leadership.
- A majority vote is then used to elect the candidates into position.
Officers may be recalled by a 2/3 majority vote of the membership.
Article IV. Duties of Officers
- Will preside at all meetings.
- Will be responsible for organizing all activities of the club
- Responsible for appointing any necessary duties to other officers or team members.
- Will make sure that there is no hazing of any kind towards underclassmen.
- Will perform the duties recommended to him by the President.
- Will act as President in the President’s absence.
- Will be responsible for keeping an accurate record of all club funds.
- Will be in charge for collecting and recording all dues and fees required by team members.
- Will perform other duties assigned to him.
- Will be responsible for updating and development of the SJU Volleyball Homepage.
- Will coordinate the connection of the SJU Volleyball Homepage with the NIVC web page and the other team web pages around the nation.
Article V. Meetings
- Meetings shall be held once a month to conduct business a hold activities.
- Mandatory attendance at the fall and spring Club Pair will be observed by the club.
Article VI. Amendments
The constitution can be amended by 2/3 vote of the membership.
Article VII. Honorariums
- An honorarium may be granted to a coach, elected by the members of the club, hired for the purpose of leading the team in practices and games.
- The honorarium may be granted to the coach after his/her duties are finished for the volleyball season, but must be before the school year is finished.
- The honorarium must be in the form of money and will be awarded from the clubs generated funds only.
Article VIII. Expenditures
Expenditures from allocated funds (Total of $370.00)
- Floor tape ($10 per roll * 3 rolls per court * 7 courts) for a totale of $210.00.
- This covers three home matches one court each and two all day tournaments using two courts.
- Stamps (mailing for refs, league contracts, team contracts) for a total of $25.00.
- Duplicating ( posters, rosters, tourney and practice schedules, score sheets, information letters) for a total of $60.00.
- Phone (call teams from MN, IA, WI, ND, SD, and Canada along with the league coordinator in the Twin Cities) for a total of $75.00.
- Each year the SJU Volleyball team due to it’s outstanding play and record, had been invited to the national Club Volleyball tournament. Each year to the present date the Senate has allocated our team money for transportation (gas), hotel expenses, and the entry fee—these totals change each year due to a new host site each year and the number of days needed for the trip.
Expenditures from generated funds (total of $1710.00)
- NIVC fees ($80.00 fee for referee certification – 4 players * $20.00, $200.00 conference fee, $250.00 conference tournament fee) for total of $530.00.
- Tournament fees ($40.00 per tournament for 8 varsity and 4 JV tournaments) for a total of $480.00.
- Honorariums ($300.00 split for 2 varsity coaches).
- Referees ($25.00/ref *2 refs per match * 8 home matches) for a total of $400.00.