College Democrats' Constitution
Article I. Name: The name of this organization will be the College of St. Benedict/St. John's University College Democrats.
Article II. Purpose
1. Generating political awareness on campus and providing opportunities for political involvement.
2. Advance an awareness of party politics and the importance of political activity related to Democratic ideals and values.
3. Establish a balance of political discourse on campus in conjunction with the College Republicans, No Labels, CSB/SJU Senates, and other campus organizations.
4. Provide leadership opportunities for all members within the Minnesota DFL and the College Democrats of Minnesota governing body.
Section B: Our affiliation with the institutions CSB and SJU: Our purpose is also to support the mission of CSB and SJU as liberal arts institutions. An integral part of this mission is the search for truth and justice; therefore, we support the questioning of decision, actions, and rules set forth by the institutions that we believe are in conflict with the mission of our club or the institutions.
Article III. Membership
Membership to the College Democrats shall be open to any student enrolled at CSB/SJU. This membership will be terminated upon graduation from CSB/SJU or at any time in which the individual student chooses to no longer be a member of the organization.
Article IV. Officers
Section A: The governance system of the College Democrats shall be composed of an Executive Board of five students. The board shall consist of two Co-Chairs, Treasurer, the Events Chair, and the Volunteer Coordinator.
Section B: Roles and Responsibilities
1. Co-Chairs: The two Co-Chairs shall facilitate meetings. In coordination with the membership they will facilitate the generation and accomplishment of goals, maintain focus and work to ensure the accomplishment of the club's purpose, as well as coordinate with College Democrats of Minnesota.
2. Treasurer: The Treasurer will be responsible for all club finances. They are responsible for completing and forwarding audits to the appropriate auditor. They will maintain financial records for the College Democrats. They are responsible for recording the minutes of the meetings. Also contact members to inform them of meeting times and places.
3. Events Chair: This position is responsible for bringing speakers to campus, and organizing debates. They shall coordinate with the JEC, the Senates, CAB, and other campus organizations to incorporate the College Democrats purpose in events throughout campus. They are responsible for College Democrats activity in events such as Club Fair.
4. Volunteer Coordinator: The Volunteer Coordinator will organize members of the College Democrats to get involved with local political campaigns, including opportunities to door knock and phone bank for candidates.
Article V. Elections
Section A: New executive board members must be elected by April 1 of each year and submitted the JCB accordingly. The election of officers shall take priority over other business.
Section B: Individuals wishing to run for office should announce their intention and make a brief statement of why they would be appropriate for the position.
Section C: The candidate receiving the highest number of votes in an election shall win.
Section D: Vacancies occurring in the Executive Board shall be filled within one meeting of the time of vacancy. This will be done by special election following the same procedures as a normal election.
Article VI. Honorarium The College Democrats will offer no honorarium to any member of the organization.
Article VII. Meetings
Section A: The College Democrats shall meet no less than once a month. Meetings may be called at the discretion of either of the Co-Chairs. Meetings may be held off campus if members of the club agree to do so. There will be no penalties for absenteeism. Meetings are open to all members of the CSB/SJU community, as well as invited guests.
Article VIII. Amendment Process
The constitution of the College Democrats may be amended by a vote of more than 50% of members attending an announced meeting.
Article IX. Impeachment
Section A: Any member of the College Democrats Executive Council may be impeached. Two members of the organization who have been members of the club for at least one semester must initiate impeachment proceeding. Impeachment plans must be announced one meeting prior to impeachment.
Section B: Impeachment procedures shall supersede all meeting business, except elections.
Section C: Members bringing forth impeachment charges will state the case at the beginning of the meeting. The subject of impeachment will have an opportunity to reply to the charges as well as answer questions.
Article X. Removal
Section A: Following the impeachment procedures, a vote of all members at the meeting shall be taken.
Section B: The member shall be removed from their position on the Executive Board by a two-thirds vote in favor of removal. The individual maintains membership in College Democrats if they so choose.
Article XI. Equal Opportunity
The College Democrats at CSB/SJU admits students without regard to their race, religion, color, sex, age, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and other activities, generally accorded or made available to members of the organization.
Article XII. Hazing
The College Democrats at CSB/SJU considers hazing to be a degrading and destructive activity, which is inconsistent with the standards of this student organization. We recognize the dignity of every person and oppose all forms of hazing.