Article I: Name and Purpose
Section 1: Name
The name of this club will be the CSB/SJU Ballroom Dance Club.
Section 2: Purpose/Mission
- To inspire cultural awareness of Ballroom and Social Dancing.
- To teach members various dancing skills and techniques.
- To allow members the opportunity to experience Ballroom Dancing.
- To provide the opportunity for all students and interested persons to become involved in Ballroom Dancing.
- The club will follow all rules outlined by the JCB, the J-Book, and Every Woman's Guide.
Section 3: Affiliation:
The CSB/SJU Ballroom Dance Club is not affiliated with any regional/national organizations.
Article II: Membership
Section 1: Eligibility for Membership
CSB/SJU Ballroom Dance Club is open to any CSB/SJU student. Non-students [e.g., faculty/staff] are not allowed to be full members, but they can be non-voting, affiliate members.
Section 2: Voting Member Criteria
In order for a student to become an active, voting member they must attend a minimum of 50% of the club non-executive meetings and events.
Article III: Officers
Section 1: Officer Qualifications
All officers must be students of undergraduate level at CSB/SJU.
Section 2: Elected Officers
Chief Executive Officer
- Will preside over all meetings of the Executive Board.
- Will be responsible for overseeing the organization of Club activities.
- Will be the acting Liaison for the Senates, the Joint Events Council, and other interested parties.
- Will be responsible to oversee the use of Funds by the Executive Board.
- Will direct and delegate all administrative responsibilities.
- Reserves the right to call special elections.
- Will control the permissions for the Club's e-mail account and Public Folder.
Coordinator of Member Affairs
- Will preside over non-Executive meetings of the club's membership once the CEO has finished making executive announcements.
- Will act as CEO in absence of the CEO.
- Will be responsible for relations and/or other problems with members.
- Will serve as secretary for meetings of the Executive Board.
- Is responsible for organizing meetings of the general membership.
Chief Financial Officer
- Will be responsible for keeping accurate records of club's accounts.
- Will be responsible for requesting and acquiring funds from the Co-Funding Board.
- Will be responsible for turning the audits as required by the Co-Funding Board.
- Will be responsible to provide Treasury Records to the members.
- Will serve as Treasurer for Executive Board.
- Will keep accurate records of the club's expenditures.
- Will accept the responsibilities of the Public Relations Officer in the absence of that officer.
Public Relations Officer
- Will be responsible for organizing Club activities (in cooperation with the CEO).
- Will be responsible for advertising Club activities (in cooperation with the CEO).
- Is the club's media liaison (in cooperation with the CEO); this includes the possibility of the creation of a web-site.
- Will assist in presiding over non-Executive club meetings.
- Is responsible for club-recruitment.
- Will accept the responsibilities of the Chief Financial Officer and/or the Coordinator of Membership Affairs in the absence of either officer.
Section 4: Vacancy in Office
In the event a vacancy should occur, the acting Chief Executive Officer must call a special election intended to fill the vacant executive position.
Section 5: Removal of Officers
- Removal of an officer requires a 2/3 majority vote of the club's active membership after a petition of no fewer than 25% of the signatures from active club members has been presented to the Executive Board.
- The Chief Executive Officer must call for a special meeting of the active membership within one month of the completion of the petition. The officer in question may appeal the decision at this meeting. Once the officer's appeal has been made, the membership will vote on his/her removal.
- If the officer is removed, they have 2 weeks to make a post-removal appeal to the remainder of the executive board. The board may then either call another special election, or deny the appeal.
- If the officer is removed, the acting Chief Executive Officer must call a special election within one month's time of the removal, but no sooner than 2 weeks after the vote to remove. This special election will be intended to fill the vacant executive position.
Section 6: Appeal of Removal of Officers
If the officer is removed, they have 2 weeks to make a post-removal appeal to the remainder of the executive board. The board may then either call another special election, or deny the appeal.
Article IV: Elections
Section 1: Nomination Process
Nominations will be accepted from all active members. Those nominated (must be students of undergraduate level at CSB/SJU) will be added to the voting ballot.
Section 2: Election
- All officers will be elected by April 1st for the following academic year at a time to be decided by the current Executive Board.
- This vote will be a majority vote of the active members present at that meeting. A quorum of at least three (3) quarters of the active members must be present for the vote to be valid. This list will be submitted to the JCB Chair of the St. John's and St. Ben's Senates, and the Joint Director of Student Activities also before April 1st.
- All officers must be students of undergraduate level at CSB/SJU.
- The term of office will be one academic year.
Section 3: Special Elections
The Chief Executive Officer (or another officer acting in respect of that office) reserves the right to call special election or submit elections electronically, and has the responsibility of notifying the membership.
Article V: Advisor
Section 1: Selection
The faculty advisor for the CSB/SJU Ballroom Dance Club may be any interested Faculty Member.
Section 2: Duties
- Will assist the executive board in coordinating club activities.
- Will assist the executive board on campus policies.
- Will assist the executive board on club financial expenditures.
- Will assist the executive board on the acquisition of funds.
Article VI: Meetings
Section 1: Regular Meeting/Club Activities
It is the responsibility of the Executive Board to organize all meetings and notify members in advance. The Executive Board will be responsible to notify members of cancelled, postponed or additional meetings.
- These meetings will be the chance to explore Ballroom Dancing techniques, and express any concerns as to upcoming club functions or club organization.
- The Coordinator of Member Affairs will have the opportunity to present potential club functions to the members. All members will have the opportunity to vote and provide input to these suggestions.
- Reports will be given regarding Club Funding when necessary by the CFO.
Executive meetings will be held when decided upon by the executive board. The CEO has final discretion on meeting times.
- These meetings will allow the executive board to prepare the agenda for upcoming club meetings.
- The executive board will organize any club functions at this time (speakers, movies, dances, etc.)
- Club Funds will be assessed and evaluated at this time under the direction of the CFO.
- Club members are welcome to attend these meetings as observers with the permission of an Executive Board Members.
Only Executive Board Meetings, special elections, and meetings where other voting takes place are considered mandatory.
There will be a minimum of one activity per semester that this club sponsors.
Section 2: Special Meetings
The Chief Executive Officer may call special meetings for voting or other urgent club matters.
Section 3: Quorum*
Members wishing to appeal club decisions must have a petition of no less than 25% of the signatures of active club members. This appeal will be presented before the executive board at the earliest possible executive board meeting.
Article VII: Committees
Section 1: Committee Structure
The CSB/SJU does not have any internal committees.
Section 2: Special/Ad-Hoc Committees
Special/ad-hoc committees may be formed by the Executive Board, if necessary.
Article VIII: Finances
Section 1: Co-Funding Board
The CSB/SJU Ballroom Dance Club will apply for CFB monies and that if allocated resources, will follow all CFB and institutional regulations.
Section 2: Honorariums
No honorariums are to be given.
Article IX: Amendments
Section 1: Ratification
The executive board reserves the right to amend the constitution.
- All changes must meet the guidelines of the CFB and must not conflict with the institutional mission and policies.
- Members may petition the executive board to amend the constitution. A petition of no fewer than 50% of the active membership is required for this appeal.
- The executive board must vote unanimously to amend the constitution unless a petition of at least three (3) quarters of the club's members is in question.
- If the petition contains the signatures of at least three (3) quarters of the club's active membership, the amendment will be passed by a majority vote or the Executive Board.
Section 2: Submittal to Department of Student Activities and Joint Club Board
Any changes made to this constitution must be submitted to the Department of Student Activities and the JCB.
Article X: Discrimination
The CSB/SJU Ballroom Dance Club admits students without regard to their race, religion, color, sex, age, sexual orientation or national or ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and other activities, generally accorded or made available to members of the organization.
Article XI: Hazing
The CSB/SJU Ballroom Dance Club considers hazing to be a degrading and destructive activity which is inconsistent with the standards of this student organization. The CSB/SJU Ballroom Dance Club recognizes the dignity of every person and opposes all forms of hazing.
Date of recognition/revision: January 17, 2008