Alpha Kappa Sigma Service Sorority Constitution
We, the sisters of Alpha Kappa Sigma Service Sorority, seek to fulfill human excellence, fellowship, and service. We will promote Benedictine Values and the amelioration of the College of Saint Benedict. We establish this constitution as a framework in which we function.
Article I: Name
The name of this club shall be known as the Alpha Kappa Sigma Service Sorority. This name is derived from the first letters of the Greek words Arete (human excellence), Koinonia (fellowship), and Synergia (service), hereafter referred to in this document as AKΣ resulting from the first letters of each Greek word.
Article II: Purpose
The purpose of AKΣ is to:
Assemble college women in the spirit of service consisting of service to the student body, to members of the community, and to fellow AKΣ members.
Article III: Mission Statement
The women comprising AKΣ will persevere to affirm and promote service and community at the College of Saint Benedict.
Article IV: Membership
AKΣ shall consist of a President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Service Co-Chairs, Social Co-Chairs, Public Relations Co-Chairs, Fundraising Co-Chairs, Rush Co-Chairs, Love Your Body Week Co- Chairs, Spring Daze Co-Chairs, a Clothing Chair, an Alumnae Relations Chair, an Advisor, active, and honorary members.
A. Active membership in AKΣ shall be granted to women enrolled at the College of Saint Benedict.
B. Honorary members may be chosen by the Executive Board, with at least a 51% majority vote. To be eligible for becoming an Honorary Member, the woman shall have been a member in good standing. These members shall have no voting privileges and are not required to attend weekly meetings.
C. AKΣ insignia shall be worn on the first Tuesday of every month by all active members of AKΣ.
Article V: Meetings
All AKΣ meetings and committee meetings are open to CSB students, faculty, administration, monastic community, and honorary members of AKΣ.
Article VI: Executive Board and Committees
The additional committees of AKΣ include, but are not limited to, the Executive Board, the Service Committee, the Social Committee, the Public Relations Committee, the Fundraising Committee, the Love Your Body Week Committee, the Spring Daze Committee, the Clothing Committee and the Alumnae Relations Committee, including ad-hoc whose duties, structure, and guidelines shall be at the discretion of the President and Vice President. Executive Board decisions may be overturned by a three-fifths (3/5) vote by AKΣ.
Article VII: Amendments
The AKΣ Constitution may be amended by a three-fourths (3/4) vote by the active members of AKΣ. The by-laws may be amended by a three-fourth (3/4) vote by the active members of AKΣ. The standing rules may be amended by a majority vote by the active members of AKΣ.
Article I: Members of AKΣ
AKΣ members shall attend all regularly scheduled AKΣ sorority meetings and appropriate committee meetings. AKΣ members shall preserve a permanent record of activities, issues, and accomplishments to be kept for future members.
Section I: President
The President shall:
- Be available to serve a full term.
- Preside over all chapter meetings.
- Call and preside at all non-committee meetings.
- Preside and chair all Executive Board meetings.
- Enforce the constitution and by-laws.
- Put to vote all committees not otherwise provided for by the constitution.
- Oversee all Executive Board members' duties.
- Promote the welfare of AKΣ on campus.
- Perform such duties as the club may require of her.
- Assist and work with all committees in promoting AKΣ sorority activities.
- Have privileges of exercising or delegating all other powers assigned or stated in this constitution.
- Work to maintain AKΣ within the Joint Club Board standings.
- Put on one school wide event, in conjunction with the Vice President, per semester.
- Email girls who are on probation to set up meetings and inform those who have been on probation two consecutive semesters that they will no longer be active members of AKΣ.
- Add additional notes relating to the President position on the Google document account for future sustainable resources.
Section 2: Vice President
The Vice President shall:
- Be available to serve a full term.
- Preside over the AKΣ Sharepoint site to ensure that Executive Board members are up to date on their event write ups and adding notes to their chair specific Sharepoint folder.
- Add additional notes relating to the Vice President position on the Google document acount for future sustainable resources.
- Chair all AKΣ meetings in the absence or at the request of the President.
- Preside over such activities as recommended to her by AKΣ.
- Record and distribute minutes of the Exec Meetings through use of Google Documents and Sharepoint.
- Put on one event, in conjunction with the President, per semester.
- Maintain the AKΣ email account bi-weekly.
Section 3: Secretary
The Secretary shall:
- Record, process and distribute minutes from AKΣ meetings within 24 hours of the meeting.
- Distribute correspondence documents including agendas, notices, and sign-up sheets at the AKΣ meetings.
- Be the point of contact for those who are unable to attend a meeting.
- Keep a detailed record of AKΣ meeting and event attendance.
- Maintain a file of all AKΣ minutes, letters, notices, and other correspondence documents.
- Keep a written and updated record of current members.
- Keep an accurate account of points for all sorority members and e-mail an update to all members the first Tuesday of every month.
- Be responsible for the maintenance of Sharepoint.
- Be responsible for the maintenance of the AKΣ email account.
- At the end of the semester compile a list of girls who are on probation and then pass this list on to the President.
Section 4: Treasurer
The Treasurer shall:
- Be available to serve a full term.
- Supervise and record all revenue and expenditures of AKΣ.
- Be aware of the current working balance, maintain a perpetual record and announce this balance at the last Exec meeting of each month.
- Act on all proposals or amendments to AKΣ budget.
- Prepare and update annual budgets in conjunction with the St. Benedict's Senate at the end of each academic year for the preceding academic year.
- Be a member of the Fundraising Committee.
- Collect active member dues.
- Meet with the Club Auditor designated by the College of Saint Benedict Senate to AKΣ when needed to establish a working relationship.
Section 5: Service Co-Chairs
The Service Co-Chairs shall:
- Preside over the Service Committee.
- Coordinate and oversee all service events for AKΣ members or students to participate in.
- Provide the Secretary with a summary of persons in attendance at these service events.
- Coordinate the Sophomore Formal every spring semester.
Section 6: Social Co-Chairs
The Social Co-Chairs shall:
- Preside over the Social Committee.
- Coordinate and oversee fellowship events for all AKΣ sorority members.
- Provide the Secretary with a summary of persons in attendance at these fellowship events.
- Plan icebreakers or activities at the start of each chapter meeting on the weeks in which there is an Exec Board Meeting.
- Coordinate the Easter Egg Hunt every spring semester.
Section 7: Public Relations Co-Chairs
The Public Relations Co-Chairs shall:
- Preside over the Public Relations Committee.
- Distribute press releases to the campus media when deemed necessary by the Executive Board.
- Be the end all resource to AKΣ, facilities, posting policies, printing and advertising AKΣ sponsored events through e-mail and other forms of mass media.
- Be responsible for the AKΣ Twitter account.
Section 8: Fundraising Co-Chairs
The Fundraising Co-Chairs shall:
- Preside over the Fundraising Committee.
- Coordinate and oversee no less than one fundraiser per semester that can either benefit AKΣ as a club, the school wide community, or an outside organization.
- Organize Haunted Watab in the fall semester of each academic year.
Section 9: Rush Co-Chairs
The Rush Co-Chairs shall:
- Plan and oversee 2 new member meetings in the fall in addition to Rush Week and welcoming ceremony.
- Setup and maintain a booth for the Involvement Fair.
- Coordinate, oversee and take full responsibility of the welcoming ceremony of new members in accordance to all Joint Club Board Policies.
- Plan and produce an AKΣ directory each year by the end of first semester, and post this directory on Sharepoint.
Section 10: Love Your Body Week Co-Chairs
The Love Your Body Week Co-Chairs shall:
- Preside over the Love Your Body Week Committee.
- Plan and oversee Love Your Body Week.
- Maintain a good relationship with the Emily Program Foundation.
Section 11: Spring Daze Co-Chairs
- Preside over the Spring Daze Committee.
- Coordinate and oversee the annual Spring Daze Week.
Section 12: Clothing Chair
- Preside over the Clothing Committee.
- Responsible for the supplying of AKΣ apparel and merchandise.
Section 13: Alumnae Relations Chair
- Preside over the Alumnae Committee.
- Distribute a newsletter to graduated AKΣ members once a semester via an email distribution list.
- Maintain the AKΣ Facebook page.
- Plan an Alumnae event once per semester.
- In charge of taking assigning members of the Alumnae committee to attend events and take pictures of the event to be placed on the Facebook page.
- Update the directory for the spring semester.
Article II: Advisor
AKΣ will have one advisor. Both the President and Vice President are to meet with this advisor as often as necessary. The Executive Board shall meet with this advisor semi-annually.
Section 1: Advisor
The Advisor shall:
- Be a representative of the College of Saint Benedict Faculty/Staff/Administration.
- Attend AKΣ meetings as necessary.
- Meet as necessary with the President and Vice President.
Article III: Executive Board and Committees
Executive Board and Committees of AKΣ may be created or dissolved by a majority vote of AKΣ. Standing Executive Board and Committees outlined in the following sections may only be dissolved by a unanimous vote of AKΣ. Sorority members must be in a minimum of one committee to be considered an active member, however, may additionally assist committees based on their interests and abilities.
Section 1: Executive Board
The Executive Board shall:
- Be chaired by the President and consist of the Vice President, etc. using a consensus decision making model.
- Meet bimonthly to discuss the status of the club and the developments of the meetings.
- Engage in discussion and preliminary explorations of club issues.
- Enforce the Constitution and Standing Rules of AKΣ.
- Send the President or Vice President and another Executive Board member to attend meetings and conferences required by Student Activities.
Section 2: Service Committee
The Service Committee shall:
- Be chaired by the Service Co-Chairs and consist of any AKΣ members.
- Helps organize and plan all service events for the sorority, community, or outside organizations.
Section 3: Social Committee
The Social Committee shall:
- Be chaired by the Social Co-Chairs and consist of any AKΣ members.
- Help organize and plan all social events for the sorority, school community, or the outside community.
Section 4: Public Relations Committee
The Public Relations Committee shall:
- Be chaired by the Public Relations Co-Chairs and consists of any AKΣ members.
- Help create and distribute publicity to promote events sponsored or presented by AKΣ.
Section 5: Fundraising Committee
The Fundraising Committee shall
- Be chaired by the Fundraising Co-Chairs and consist of any AKΣ members.
- Help plan and implement fundraisers for the chapter, school community, as well as larger organizations.
- Organize and implement Haunted Watab.
Section 6: Love Your Body Week Committee
The Love Your Body Week Committee
- Be chaired by the Love Your Body Week Co-Chairs and consist of members preselected by the Love Your Body Week Co-Chairs based on the sensitivity that surrounds Love Your Body Week.
- Organize, coordinate, and implement Love Your Body Week of which all proceeds will be donated to The Emily Program Foundation.
Section 7: Spring Daze Committee
The Spring Daze Committee shall:
- Be chaired by the Spring Daze Co-Chairs and consists of any AKΣ members.
- Organize, coordinate, and implement the week of Spring Daze.
Section 8: Clothing Committee
The Clothing Committee shall:
- Be chaired by the Clothing Chair and consist of any AKΣ members.
- Be in charge of designing and ordering AKΣ apparel and merchandise.
Section 9: Alumnae Relation Committee
The Alumni Committee shall:
- Be chaired by the Alumnae Chair and consist of any AKΣ members.
- Helps organize, coordinate, and implement Alumnae events.
- Take pictures of sorority events for the newsletter and Facebook.
Article IV: AKΣ Elections for Executive Board
The AKΣ Executive Board shall be elected by a majority vote of AKΣ active members. Elections for President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer positions will be held in March. The elections for the rest of the Executive Board shall be held at the second to last sorority meeting. The new Executive Board shall take office the last AKΣ meeting of the year, and their term will last until the same time the following year.
Section 1: The Elected Executive Board
The elected member of the Executive Board shall include the President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Service Co-Chairs, Social Co-Chairs, Public Relations Co-Chairs, Fundraising Co-Chairs, Rush Co-Chairs, Love Your Body Week Co- Chairs, Spring Daze Co-Chairs, a Clothing Chair, and an Alumnae Relations Chair.
Section 2: Elected Executive Board's Point Requirement
If members of the Executive Board do not meet the minimum requirements for service points, social points, or total points within the period of a semester, they will be asked to step down from their current position on the Executive Board for the following semester./p>
Section 3: Election Guidelines
- Elections of the Executive Board shall take place during a regular meeting and must be brought to the floor by the President.
- To be considered for nomination, a member must be active and in good standing with the club, having not been on probation during their membership in the sorority.
Section 3: Election Procedures
- The acting President, if in senior standing and not able to be nominated again for re-election, shall conduct the election process.
- If the acting President is able to be nominated again than an active member with senior status at the College of Saint Benedict will preside over the election.
- Voting shall be held in rank order.
- To run for a position on the AKΣ Executive Board, a member may be nominated by another active member or self-nominated.
- Nominations shall consist of presenting the name of the nominee.
- Following the nomination of a member, the nominee must have a seconded by another active member. If there is no second, the member will not be eligible for the position.
- If there is a second on the floor, the nominee shall then state why they are qualified for the position.
- If self-nominated, the member shall simply state why they are qualified for the position and does not require a second by another sorority member to run for the desired position.
- After all nominations have been given, the nominees shall leave the room and a debate shall take place for a maximum of five minutes by the members of the sorority to determine the best nominee.
- Voting will be done by the blind raising of hands.
- A 51% majority is required for a nominee to win.
- If there is a tie between members then there will be a re-vote also needing a 51% majority vote to win.
- The President is eligible to vote during elections; however, she can abstain but must break a voting tie if she chooses to abstain.
Section 4: Transition Procedures
- Executive Board members leaving office shall train and transition newly elected Executive Board members individually, prior to the end of the semester. For these newly elected members who are studying abroad, the transition can take place via e-mail and during the summer. Old Executive Board members must put transition notes and event write ups up on their Sharepoint folder by the end of their term so that newly elected Executive Board members may have sustainable resources.
- Executive Board members leaving office shall keep in contact with their newly elected counterparts for the remainder of the semester following the elections.
- Executive Board members leaving office shall return all AKΣ property and files prior to the end of the semester.
Section 5: Meetings
- AKΣ meetings will be held every Tuesday of the academic year at 9:30 p.m.
- Meetings are open to the public, except when a closed session is called by the President or when voted or passed by two-thirds majority requested by another member.
- Members should allow at least an hour for AKΣ meetings.
- All meetings are mandatory.
- If members leave early from any meeting or arrive late this will be taken into consideration when compiling absences. The following considerations and/or actions will be discussed by the President and Vice President in conjunction with the Secretary to: 1) decide if absences are legitimate, 2) give a formal warning, and 3) put them on probation.
- A quorum, two-thirds, of AKΣ must be present to conduct any election or voting.
- Special mandatory meetings of AKΣ shall be called at the discretion of the President, the Executive Board, or at the request of any three active members. Events can also be deemed mandatory two weeks prior to an event by the President, Executive Board, or any three members.
- In the event that a sorority member leaves the sorority for a semester, and then asks the permission from the President or Vice President to rejoin the sorority, she will be allowed to rejoin with the consequence of being put on probation for that current semester.
Section 6: Points
A. There will be a requirement of 200 points per semester.
B. Extra points may be earned by attending extra service or Rush events, by attending all of the scheduled group meetings, and/or by attending social events.
C. Members are expected to meet the required points for each semester. If a sister does not meet the points for any given semester, a meeting will be set up with the President and the Vice President in which the sister will be placed on probation, unless there are any circumstances in which the President and Vice President deem excusable. If the sister does not meet the points required again in any given semester following being placed on probation, she will be asked to resign from the sorority.
D. Meetings are 10 points each. Members are encouraged to attend all meetings to maintain good standing within the club.
E. Service Events are 10 points each. Members are required to obtain 40 service points per semester.
i. Members will be allowed to count up to one donation, monetary or otherwise, per semester as a 10 point service event. Events that are designated as a donation will be up the discretion of the Service chairs.
ii. Service events will be worth two different point values: 10 points or 20 points. 10 point will be given for events on campus, or those that are less than three hours. 20 points will be given for events that require traveling or have a time commitment of over three hours. Point allotments are up to the discretion of the Service chairs.
F. Dues are worth 10 points within the first month of the new semester, otherwise a member will receive 5 points if dues are turned in after the first month of the semester."
i. Members are only mandated to turn in dues once, at the beginning of fall semester. However, if a member is absent for any fall semester, the member will pay dues when she returns to campus.
ii. A minimum of 5 points is required.
G. Rush: 10 points each (for first semester only)
i. A requirement of 3 events needs to be attended with additional sister and/or family bonding events.
ii. A minimum of 40 points are required.
H. Committee Meetings: 5 points each
i. A maximum of 15 points will be given.
I. Social Events are 5 points each.
J. If an AKΣ Sorority member is unable to attend the service or social event that she had previously signed up for, she will be deducted 10 points, for a service event, or 5 points, for a social event, for missing the event. If, however she finds a replacement before the event has occurred, points will not be deducted
Article V: Removal from Office
A. As elected member of AKΣ, an Executive Board member is called to act in a responsible, honorable, and respectful fashion during the course of her leadership. Failure to comply with the following things may lead to the discussion of removal from office:
i. Incompetence, negligence, and unsatisfactory reporting.
ii. Failure to comply with any of the official duties as listed in the constitution and bylaws of AKΣ.
iii. Use of an Executive Board member's position for personal gain.
iv. Unexcused absences.
B. All grievances will first be brought to the attention of the Executive Board and then to the entire sorority for review. The process of discussing the possibility of removal from the AKΣ Executive Board may be initiated by:
i. Any member of AKΣ.
ii. The advisor to AKΣ.
C. Any AKΣ Executive Board member may be removed from office by a four-fifths vote by AKΣ.
D. Executive Board members who have been removed from office:
i. Must return all sorority property and files immediately upon removal
ii. Have the opportunity to appeal the decision of AKΣ concerning the final decision to the current advisor.
iii. May remain an active member of the sorority as long as the individual follows guidelines proposed by the AKΣ Executive Board and voted upon and passed with a 51% majority by the entire sorority.
Article VI: Vacancies
In the event of a vacancy occurring in the position of the President in the middle of a term, the Vice President shall assume the position of the President with the approval by a three-fourths vote of AKΣ. A special election will be held for the open positions.
Article VII: Discrimination
AKΣ admits students without regard to their race, religion, color, age, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and other activities, generally accorded or made available to members of the organization.
Article VIII: Hazing
AKΣ considers hazing to be a degrading and destructive activity which is inconsistent with the standards of this student organization. AKΣ recognizes the dignity of every person and opposes all forms of hazing.
- Article IX: Review of the Constitution
This constitution shall be reviewed and revised on a yearly basis by the Executive Board by the end of spring semester.
- Any recommended revisions to the constitution must pass a two-thirds vote by the Executive Board in order to bring the proposed revision to the entire sorority to vote upon. The revision must then pass a two-thirds vote by the entire sorority in order to be implemented in the constitution.