Substitution Policy

In exceptional circumstances and for appropriate reasons, students may petition for a substitution from specific academic regulations. Forms for requesting a substitution are available online:

Requests for these non-departmental substitutions should be directed first to the student's Academic Advising Office. Substitutions from academic regulations beyond major and minor fields (including common curriculum requirements) require the approval of the Academic Dean of the student's college.

Students should first consult with their academic advisor. Department chairs are the approving officials for substitutions from requirements within majors and minors.

The guiding principle in considering requests for any substitution is fidelity to the academic standards of the colleges.

See also Academic Catalog: Exemption/Substitution