Degree Works Student Guide
Note: If you access Degreeworks from Banner Web and receive a message saying a pop-up was blocked or an additional page does not open after clicking Degree Works, you may need to change your pop-up blocker settings so that you can access the Degree Works site. Review your browser's help menu for instructions on how to turn off pop-up blockers or add an exception for the sites: https://ssb.csbsju.edu and/or https://dw.csbsju.edu/
Always start by clicking process to get the most recent and up to date course information applied to your audit.
Formats: There are two formats - Student View & Registration Checklist
- To switch views, hit the "View" button after choosing a different format.
- Students will normally use the student view format, as it is the most comprehensive.
- The Registration Checklist format views only what the student has yet to complete. Be careful that some unmet conditions may not show on this format (e.g. 124 credit or Upper division graduation requirements).
- All audits will default to include in-progress & pre-registered courses.
- To view only in-progress & completed courses uncheck the "pre-registered" box then click process.
- The worksheets can be saved in PDF form by hitting the "Save as PDF" button.
- The "Class History" link displays a chronological view of all classes a student has taken. It is not a transcript, but a concise way to view a student's academic history.
- The student and advisor names are linked to their email addresses.
- The legend is on the bottom of the worksheet.
Blocks - Blocks only show up if they are appropriate for the student.
- Student information block - all relevant information on the student you are viewing
- Degree block - general graduation requirements. Look in blue header - the catalog year defaults from Banner. GPA in blue header is drawn from Degree Works whereas Overall GPA in Student View above comes from Banner (they should be the same). The "Credits Required" should be 124. The "Credits Applied" in blue header includes in-progress and pre-registered credits.
- All-College Honors block - will show up if the student is eligible for the honors program. It does not necessarily mean that the student will pursue all college honors. The green box is always checked if they are eligible for the honors program - whether or not they have completed it.
- Integrations Curriculum block - integrations curriculum requirements. It will show all met & unmet requirements.
- Major/Minor block - major and any minor requirements. It will show all met & unmet requirements.
- General Electives Counted Towards Degree Requirements block - any courses that count towards general graduation credits, but are not fulfilling any specific requirement. They are generally referred to as general electives.
- Insufficient/Courses Not Currently Applicable to Degree Requirements block - courses that cannot be used toward degree requirements. These include failed courses, withdrawals, audited courses, courses that are repeated for credit.
- In-progress block - courses the student is currently registered for this semester.
- Fall Through/Not counted block - courses that exceed the limit of credits that are allowed for that particular course.
- Notes block - notes are generated by the Registrar's Office only. These will be general audit notes and the most recent note will be on the top. All are able to view the notes.
All major substitutions that have been approved by a department chairperson will be listed in Degree Works after the paperwork has been submitted to the Registrar's office.
"What If" Tab
Default is undergraduate.
Choose a certain degree (BA or BS) to get the drop down menu for the majors/minors. The degree defaults from the student Banner record. If a student is not accepted to a major yet, "Not in Upper Division" will be displayed. There are no majors/minors listed if BA or BS is not in the degree type. Multiple majors or minors can be chosen under "Choose your Different Areas of Study".
When finished picking the scenario, click "Process What-If" at the top.
- Graduation Calculator: Use this tab if you want to find out if a desired GPA is attainable before graduation.
- Term Calculator: Use this tab if you want an estimated GPA by putting estimates of grades for the term.
- Advice Calculator: Use this tab if want to know if a desired GPA is possible. It will give different scenarios for attaining the desired GPA. If it would require too many credits, it will state so or that it is not possible or realistic.