Stage 1: Review The Materials Contained In The SUMMER INTERNSHIP Binders.
- Several 3-ring binders are available by the SJU Political Science Office (Simons 150) showing materials from previous summer study groups.
- A condensed version of this information is available on the Political Science Department website.
Stage 2: Program Application
Due Friday, October 18, 2019
Complete the online Summer 2020 Washington DC Internship APPLICATION FORM. After this you will receive an email containing all of the information you have submitted.
- Prepare a one-page resume that describes your education, skills, experience and background that might be helpful in the work of a Congressional, lobbying, communications, or public policy office.
- Prepare a 1-2 page writing sample demonstrating clear and concise writing and research skills.
- Prepare a site list of 20 possible internship sites. Use the site list template and example found here to begin the process.
- Send your resume, writing sample, and a site list to [email protected]. These additional materials must be sent by Monday, October 21, 2019 to Sheila Hellermann directly.
[Note that some internship sites—e.g., the State Department, F.B.I., etc., take a longer lead time to complete the application process and application materials must be prepared earlier in the fall.]
Stage 3: Initial Application Approval
The program directors will notify applicants if accepted into the summer program after interviews.
Stage 4: Application Materials Sent To Washington Sites
- During late fall and early spring semesters, the directors will assist students in researching internship opportunities at appropriate Washington locations, preparing application materials, and following up on contacts. This is an intensive process and requires a serious time commitment.
- A series of pre-internship orientation sessions will be scheduled for mandatory participation by all interns approved for summer study in D.C. (Students studying abroad will be kept informed of session activities electronically.)
- Registration forms will be completed and submitted to the Registrar's Office by the Program Director. Tuition will be due and payable to Student Accounts in accordance with deadlines provided by the Registrar's Office.
- Housing and travel arrangements will be completed.
Stage 5: D.C. Summer Study: June and July 2020
Stage 6: Final Evaluation Report and Updated Resume Due.
*Information subject to change, please confirm with Program Director*