Earth Week 2021
Earth Week Keynote - Tues, Apr 20 @ 7:00 p.m. via Zoom
A conversation with Leah Thomas, founder of Intersectional Environmentalist. Hosted by CSB and SJU Senates and Outdoor U. Facilitated by Crystal Diaz (CSB '22) and Sean Fisher (SJU '23).
Group size is limited for in-person events. Register early to reserve your spot!
Sunday, April 18
- 4:00 p.m. CSC Day Kickoff: LLAS Conference Keynote, "Afro-descendants, Crises, and Resistance in Latin America" with Dr. Gladys Mitchell-Walthour
- Free to the CSB/SJU Community. Register here.
Monday, April 19
- Celebrating Scholarship & Creativity Day: Support the achievements of CSB/SJU students, faculty, and staff as they present their research, scholarship and creative works.
Tuesday, April 20
- 1:00-3:00 p.m. EcoChallenge Tabling, Gorecki, CSB
- 4:45-5:45 p.m. Tell Me More: Nature & Religion, BAC Outdoor Amphitheatre, CSB
- 5:00 p.m. Nature Journaling, SJU
- 5:00 p.m. Taste & See Sustainability, Krewe Restaurant, St. Joseph
- EVENT IS FULL. Contact [email protected] to be added to a waitlist.
- A talk and tasting with executive chef and owner, Mateo Mackbee. Learn how Krewe's focus on heritage foods preserves cultures, enhances inclusive communities, empowers local food growers and reduces the meal's carbon footprint.
- Hosted by The McCarthy Center. Read more on their event website.
- 7:00 p.m. KEYNOTE: Green Girl Leah Thomas Interview, Virtual
- 7:00 p.m. Saint Ben's @ Home Series, Virtual
Wednesday, April 21
- 9:00 - 11:00 a.m. St. Joe Clean-Up, CSB
- 10:00-11:30 a.m. Tree ID Walk, SJU
- 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Vegetarian & Vegan Eating @ Gorecki, CSB
- A tabling event with resources on vegetarian and vegan meals offered in Gorecki, as well as info on environmental benefits of a plant-based diet. A Gorecki chef will be available to answer questions and take suggestions.
- Hosted by the CSB Senate
- No registration required. Just stop by!
- 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Equity Bike Ride, Wobegon Trail
- 3:00-4:00 p.m. FullCircle Greenhouse Tour and Harvest, CSB
- 5:00-6:00 p.m. Nature Bathing, CSB
Thursday, April 22 - Earth Day
- Breakfast/Lunch. Plant-Based Meal Options @ the Reef, SJU
- Celebrate Earth Day with some plant-based meal options. Check out the menus.
- 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Nature's Narratives Tabling, CSB
- 4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. Nature's Narratives Tabling, SJU
- 6:00 p.m. Leave No Trace Campfire Chat, SJU
- Learn the seven Leave No Trace principles for recreating responsibly outdoors and how to apply those ethics to your regular life. Meet at the OLC (across from Sexton bus stop) to walk out to Watab together. No experience necessary; dress for the weather.
- Hosted by the Peer Resource Program
- Register Now
- 6:00 p.m. Golden Hour Nature Photography, SJU
- 6:00-8:00 p.m. Nature Poetry, CSB
- 6-7 p.m. "Secret Garden" poetry reading. Bring your favorite spring/Earth/secret poem to share!
- 7-8 p.m. Forest Heart poetry reading from CSB/SJU English professor Betsy Johnson's latest book. Participate in a facilitated poetry writing session.
- Meet in HAB courtyard. No experience necessary!
- Hosted by The Writing Center and Outdoor U
- Register Now
- 7:45 p.m. LN3 Film: Seven Teachings of the Anishinaabe in Resistance , Pellegrene, SJU
Friday, April 23
- 12:30-3:30 p.m. Plant Giveaway, Melancon Greenhouse, SJU
- Pick up free plants for yourself, friends, and family! Plants will be set up on a table in Pengl 2nd floor southeast stairway (near classroom 229). First-come, first-served.
- Hosted by the Melancon Greenhouse
- No registration required
- 4:00 p.m. (SJU) and 4:30 p.m. (CSB)Earth Week Bike Ride, between campuses
- 6:30 p.m. Eco-Community 'Be Wild' Event, SJU
- Celebrating the Earth and its wildness through a community mural painting. Music, bonfire, and an outdoor showing of the movie Into the Wild. Meet in Flyntown courtyard across from McKeown. Bring blankets or chair for the movie.
- Hosted by SJU Eco-House and CSB Eco-Community
- Register Now
Saturday, April 24
- 12:30-3:45 p.m. "The Future Is" Summit, Virtual
- A series of facilitated discussions, panels, and conversations led by environmental justice leaders. Hopes to show that an inclusive, systemic approach to environmentalism is achievable.
- Hosted by Intersectional Environmentalist
- 1:00-2:00 p.m. Small Talk - DIY Micro-Gardening, Zoom
- 7:00-10:00 p.m. Bonfire & Stargazing, CSB Monastic Woods
Sunday, April 25
- 2:00-4:30 p.m. A Guide Through Activism & Sustainability at CSB/SJU, Pengl 269, SJU
- Learn about the variety of ways students can be an activist and be sustainable on campus. After the discussion, hike through the oak savanna restoration site in the Abbey Arboretum to learn more about caring for natural spaces. Dress for the weather.
- Hosted by Climate Justice Club, Sustainability Alliance, CSB/SJU Sustainability, Peer Resource Program, and Outdoor U
- Register Now