Collegebound at CSB+SJU
August 16-22, 2024
(opens 10:00 a.m. CT Monday, June 10th)
Collegebound 2023 Group Photo
Collegebound 2024 Details
Space is limited, due to U.S. Forest Service regulations. Completing the Participant Application does not guarantee a spot on the trip, participants accepted for Collegebound will receive an online payment portal link and completing payment through that link will confirm registration for Collegebound 2024. If you would like to discuss alternate arrangements, please email Lucas Wade.
$450 per student. Fee includes: trip transportation, food, permits, lodging, gear, and an incredible experience! Payment does not include personal travel expenses to CSB and SJU. Payment is due by within 2 weeks of being sent the payment portal link, unless other arrangements are made.
The Mason V. Sorenson Memorial Fund has been established in honor of Mason Sorenson '96 to provide need-based financial support for Collegebound participation and other CSB and SJU outdoor programs. Funds support Collegebound participants with demonstrated significant financial need as determined by our partners in CSB and SJU Admissions. Students can indicate their interest in being considered on the registration form.
2024 Program Itinerary
Collegebound runs from Friday, August 16th through Thursday, August 22nd, 2024
- Aug 16: Arrive on campus, move-in during the morning, spend the afternoon and evening meeting your leaders and fellow participants.
- Aug 17: Depart campus to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, and spend the night at an outfitter. Practice paddling, try on your personal flotation device (PFD), and enjoy a final night with cell phone service and indoor plumbing before getting on the water.
- Aug 18-20: Travel through the Boundary Waters in all Bennie or all Johnnie groups with your student leaders and fellow participants. Make friends, learn about life at CSB and SJU, and improve your paddling skills! The night of August 20th will the the final night camping in the Boundary Waters.
- Aug 21: Paddle back to the outfitter, return canoes, paddles, and PFDs, then travel to a group campsite where all Collegebound participants will camp, share stories of their trips, and get to know each other.
- Aug 22: Collegebounder's depart in the morning, and return to campus for a final lunch. Participants then return to housing to shower, before joining campus orientation!
Details on packing lists, health forms, payment options, and trip leaders will be provided via email to participants once all participants are registered.
Historically, opportunities like Collegebound have been restricted or exclusive to a wide range of groups, with many of those systemic barriers still remaining today. When administering programs like Collegebound and other Outdoor University programs, we are committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice in the outdoor experiences we provide. We encourage students of all identities and backgrounds, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, citizenship status, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, familial status, or status with regard to public assistance to consider joining the Collegebound outdoor orientation program. We are committed to working with all interested students to find ways to allow their participation, and welcome all constructive feedback about how these systemic barriers can be further removed.