CSB/SJU offers a four-year bachelor of science degree with a major in nursing.
We are proud of our 40 year tradition of preparing strong professional nurse leaders for contemporary nursing practice within a Catholic/Benedictine liberal arts setting. Faculty are deeply committed to excellence in student learning, teaching, service, and scholarship.
Nursing Facilities Panorama
Overview of Program
The Nursing Major:
- The curriculum is structured around the AACN Essentials for Baccalaureate Nursing Education.
- Students are expected to integrate the liberal arts and sciences and Catholic and Benedictine values in holistic care for people of all ages, families, and communities.
- Admission to the major occurs after the first year. The program involves 2 semesters of prerequisite coursework and 6 semesters in the nursing major.
- We offer an Early Admission Program for High School Seniors with an ACT composite score of 27 or above.
- The baccalaureate program at the College of Saint Benedict/Saint John's University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org). The program is approved by the Minnesota Board of Nursing (2009).
- Pass rates on the national licensing exam (NCLEX) typically exceed national pass rates for baccalaureate graduates. 90% of CSB/SJU nursing graduates successfully passed this exam in 2019.
- In December 2015, the nursing department completed a $2.5 million renovation of the simulation lab and classrooms and unveiled the Guy and Barbara Schoenecker Nursing Education Suite. This renovation allows nursing faculty to utilize state-of-the-art technology to enhance student learning and prepares students to practice in an ever-changing healthcare environment.
- In 2018, the CSB/SJU nursing program was ranked 67 out of 513 nationwide, and ranked 3 out of 14 in the state of Minnesota by College Factual.
- In 2019, the CSB/SJU nursing program was ranked as one of the top 40 nursing schools in the Plains States by the Nursing Schools Almanac.
- A senior-level intensive capstone provides an excellent forum for entry to practice.
- All students will complete a cultural immersion experience either locally or internationally in places such as Belize, South Africa and the Dominican Republic. Watch a video of the experience here.
- Participation in organizations such as Nursing Club and Sigma Theta Tau International provides students with leadership and service opportunities.