The Record captures fourth place in general excellence at convention
February 26, 2018
Two weeks after the biggest pro football game of the season was played in Minneapolis, collegiate journalists from around the Midwest gathered for the biggest newspaper competition of the year.
The Record, the newspaper of the College of Saint Benedict and Saint John’s University, won seven awards at the Associated Collegiate Press Best of the Midwest convention Feb. 18 at the Millennium Hotel, Minneapolis.
The Record received fourth place in the general excellence category among four-year weekly newspapers for its Oct. 27 edition. The paper also earned an eighth-place award for best website, from work since Jan. 1 in the four-year weekly newspaper category.
Six writers and editors from The Record also captured individual awards that were presented across all categories. They included:
- Second place, best sports story by Brandon Spratt, for his Oct. 27 story on SJU soccer players using a heart rate monitoring program;
- Fourth place, best sports story by Jack Wozniak, for his Feb. 16 story on athletic siblings Tyler, Maddie and Hunter Weiss;
- Fourth place, best news photo by Sam Butterfass, for his Sept. 22 photo of a student studying in the new Dietrich Reinhart Learning Commons;
- Fifth place, best news story co-written by Meredith Jarchow and Sean Kelly, for their Oct. 13 story on student-police relations in St. Joseph;
- Honorable mention, best feature story by Ellen Bartyzal, for her Feb. 24, 2017, story on SJU student Andrew West turning a yearlong dream into an eight-book series.
Jarchow, editor-in-chief of The Record, made a presentation on how to run a newspaper on a small campus on Feb. 18.