Eleven students from the College of Saint Benedict and Saint John’s University are participating in summer internship experiences through the Washington, D.C., Summer Study Program through a combination of in-person, hybrid and remote internships.
Eight students are living in Washington this summer, while three are completing remote internships with sites in D.C. Last year, the entire program was virtual and it is expected that 2022 will mark a return to a completely in-person program.
This is the 42nd year of the Summer Study Program, designed and operated by CSB/SJU faculty and staff in the political science department.
The program provides students an opportunity to work in a Washington congressional office, in a government agency, in a nonprofit organization or with a public affairs group, learning and working in a community. They apply for their internships based on their interests and receive academic credit.
In addition to the work experience and completion of coursework, program director, Dr. Christi Siver, associate professor of political science at CSB and SJU, conducts seminars and arranges supplemental meetings with alumnae/i and other professionals.
The program is coordinated by Sheila Hellermann, department coordinator for political science, sociology, peace studies and accounting and finance.
The 11 students (listed alphabetically) include:
- Madison Doran, a CSB senior majoring in communications from Circle Pines, Minnesota, is a digital marketing intern for IMGE, a digital firm working on political campaigns and corporate marketing.
- Katherine Fenske, a CSB junior majoring in integrative science (with a focus on public health), from Shoreview, Minnesota, is the government relations intern at AHRI, a trade association representing heating and cooling companies, working on the development of and advocating for environmental and energy policy and legislation at the state and federal level which impacts the industry.
- Lily Fredericks, a CSB senior majoring in political science from Eden Prairie, Minnesota, is a Policy Associate, interning for Jubilee USA Network, a non-governmental organization advocating for debt relief for developing nations.
- Brenda Rojas Gutierrez, a CSB junior majoring in political science from Minneapolis, is a development intern for the National Immigration Forum, which advocates for the value of immigrants and immigration to our nation.
- Brianna Kreft, a CSB senior majoring in political Science from Elbow Lake, Minnesota, is the international affairs intern at AHRI, a trade association representing heating and cooling companies, working on global performance standards, certification programs and industry information including trade and tariff issues with U.S. and international agencies and foreign embassies.
- Mickaela Maehren, a CSB senior with an individualized major in Community Action and Advocacy from Clearwater, Minnesota, is interning for Public Leadership Education Network (PLEN), a national organization with the sole focus of preparing college women for leadership in the public policy arena.
- Sydney Richter, a CSB junior double-majoring in political science and gender studies is interning for U.S. for Sen. Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota.
- William Schwinghammer, a SJU senior economics major from Edina, Minnesota is a Policy Advocate Intern with Jubilee USA Network, a non-governmental organization advocating for debt relief for developing nations.
- Justin E. Smith, a SJU senior political science major from Nassau, Bahamas, is interning at the Embassy Consular Annex of the Commonwealth of The Bahamas.
- Hailee Thayer, a CSB senior political science major from Prior Lake, Minnesota, is policy intern with the Satellite Industry Association, a trade association providing representation of the leading domestic satellite operators, service providers, manufacturers.
- Julian Camilo Yaruro Carreño, a SJU senior double-majoring in political science and economics, from Cúcuta, Norte de Santander, Colombia, is a Policy Associate, interning for Jubilee USA Network, a non-governmental organization advocating for debt relief for developing nations.