The Festival - Goal and Description
Come to Saint John’s………
FESTIVAL OF STYLES
Saturday, October 28, 2017
9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Especially designed for high school singers
- Teachers/directors are invited and expected to sing next to (with) their students.
- Focus on 3 or 4 ‘styles’ of music
- Performance’ is NOT the goal for the day – although we will end the day singing together
- The festival will continue to focus on literature for TTBB and SSAA, but the schedule/design allows more time to learn more about the specific styles.
- The music will lend itself both for performance by a full choir or small ensemble
2017 Styles and Directors:
- World Music – Bret Amundson, CSC, 2017 MN All State SSAA Choir Director
- Barbershop/Sweet Adelines – Doug Carnes, Great Northern Union
- Spiritual– André Heywood, CSB/SJU, 2017 ACDA Dialogue Conductor’s Choir director
- Exploring Vocal Jazz and Improvisation – Jennifer Parker, McNally Smith College
- 3 selections for SSAA (World Music, Spiritual, Sweet Adelines)
- 3 selections for TTBB (World Music, Spiritual, Barbershop)
- 1 style (Improvisation/Vocal Jazz) will be for SATB
- 1½ hours will be sept on each of the selections. Each of the guest conductors works with all the SSAA and TTBB singers.
- $5.00 registration fee per student – to cover basic expenses
- lunch: in SJU refectory: $9.00 per person
Getting to Campus / SJU Campus Map
Axel Theimer at