CSB/SJU Choir Assessment/Auditions
2020-21 Academic Year
Singers will have their choice of format to participate in choir auditions for the 2020-21 academic year, either an (A) In-Person live audition, or by (B) Zoom Meeting. You will be able to indicate your preference when you complete your online audition application. Audition criteria for each ensemble is included below:
Sopranos/Altos: If you want to be considered for Women’s Choir or Chamber Choir, you will need to complete separate applications and auditions for each ensemble.
Tenors/Basses:Please indicate on the audition form if you have a group preference.
If you still have questions after reading the information below, please contact:
- Women’s Choir: Dr. Vollbrecht: [email protected] 320-363-5888
- Chamber Choir/Men’s Chorus: Dr. Theimer: [email protected] 320-363-3374
- All College Choir: Dr. Peter Durow: [email protected]
Chamber Choir and Men’s Chorus:
WHERE: SJU - Stephen B Humphrey (Music Building) – SBH # 028 – Choir Room
- Monday, August 31, 9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, September 1, 9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, September 2, 9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
WHERE: BAC: Outdoor Amphitheater (If raining – BAC Recital Hall – A-135)
- Monday, August 31, 8:30 – 5:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, September 1, 11:00 – 5:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, September 2, 1:30 – 5:30 p.m.
Audition results will be posted later in the evening on Wednesday, September 2.
All College Choir
- No auditions required to join ACC. All singers are welcome.
WHERE: BAC – Room: Escher Auditorium
WHEN: Tuesday Evenings from 6:30-7:45 pm
Chamber Choir and Men’s Chorus
- You can use (designated) practice rooms for warmups – 2nd floor SBH (sanitize/disinfect after you are done)
- Arrive outside choir room (SBH 028) 5 minutes before your scheduled time.
- Nobody else should be in the hallway when you arrive – but, in case… observe social distancing, wear your mask. There will be a 15 minute window between auditions
- Please arrive promptly at your audition time: enter 028 (double door) for audition. Exit interview through single door and leave building promptly.
- Click on your Zoom Meeting Audition link 5 minutes-prior to your audition (you will be sent link prior to auditions). Please wait in the “waiting room” until Dr. Theimer is ready for your audition. (Please see How to Connect to a Zoom Meeting for instructions if Zoom is a new format for you).
- Sing (a) prepared selection (songs you might have sung for High School Solo/Ensemble events, scholarship auditions) or (b) favorites such as:
- America the Beautiful”
- “America”, (My Country ’Tis of Thee)
- National Anthem etc.
- Hymns, Carols
- No ‘pop music’ please
- Range check
- Tone memory check (sing back 3 or 4 notes)
- some general sight-reading assessment
Women’s Choir Audition Process:
- Auditions will take approximately 10-minutes, followed by a 15-minute gap between the next audition.
- Arrive at appointed time at the outdoor Amphitheater stage between Benedictine Arts Complex (BAC) and Gorecki. (**If raining, auditions will be in the BAC #A135 Recital Hall. Please enter through glass doors marked “ENTER” at your scheduled time. Singers will exit room through opposite doors marked “EXIT”)
- Click on the Zoom Meeting Audition link 5 minutes-prior to your audition (you will be sent link prior to auditions). Please wait in the “waiting room” until Dr. Vollbrecht is ready for your audition. (Please see How to Connect to a Zoom Meeting for instructions if Zoom is a new format for you).
- Sing (a) prepared selection (ex. songs you might have sung in past choirs or from a HS Solo/Ensemble event) or(b) sing a song you are comfortable singing that highlights your voice and ability.
- Range Check (explore your comfortable singing range).
- Tonal Memory (explore your ability to sing back 4-note sequence accurately)
- Sight-Reading assessment (many singers are at varying levels of experience with sight-reading. This allows me to assess where your current skillset is and how I might increase all sight-reading skills during rehearsals).
- Informal conversation with Dr. Vollbrecht to explore your interest in Women’s Choir and, if accepted, what your singing goals and goals for the ensemble are. I welcome the opportunity to speak with each of you about Women’s Choir’s rehearsal structure and academic and performance goals for this year.