Transfer I-20

Transferring Your SEVIS Record

The information on this page is for F-1 status students only. 

To transfer your J-1 DS-2019, please contact Center for Global Education.


Admission to a new school does not by itself authorize an international student in F-1 status to begin studying full-time at the new school.

You must request your current school (CSB+SJU) to transfer/release your F-1 U.S. government SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) I-20 record to your new school before you can begin full-time studies there. The U.S. government calls this process a “SEVIS transfer.” (It is different from an “academic transfer.”)

There are several benefits to a SEVIS transfer

  • You do not pay the SEVIS fee again to create a new record.
  • You can remain in the U.S. in between programs (under 5 months). 
  • You maintain the same current SEVIS ID number (which may make you eligible for certain benefits at your new school earlier, such as CPT eligibility)

The U.S. government considers all the following examples to be possible “SEVIS transfer” situations

  1. Completinga program at one school and starting a new program at a different school Examples:
    • A student graduates with a bachelor’s degree and will begin graduate study.
    • A student graduates from high school in the U.S. and will begin study at CSB+SJU.
    • A student completes an intensive English program and will start a university degree at CSB+SJU.
  2. Currently studyingat one school and deciding (before completing program) to change to a new school
    Example: A student is studying for a bachelor’s degree. The student decides after only two quarters at their current school that they want to change to a different school.
  3. Currently doing OPTand starting a new program of study at a different school; Examples:
    • A student graduated with a bachelor’s degree and started 12-month standard OPT. During their OPT they also apply to graduate schools. They are admitted and decide to start a Master’s degree that will begin before or after completion of the 12-month standard OPT.
    • A SOT (School of Theology) student graduated with a Master’s degree and started 12-month standard OPT. They receive admission to a new program of study that will begin before or after the OPT finishes.

Eligibility for a SEVIS Record Transfer

  • You must currently be maintaining F-1 status.
  • You must have an offer of admission from a new school.
  • You must obtain the transfer-in school’s transfer form.
  • If you already graduated or completed OPT, you must still be within your 60-day grace period.
  • The start of classes at your new school must be within 5 months of one of the following:
    • Academic program completion at CSB+SJU.
    • Last day of enrollment at CSB+SJU (if you are not from CSB+SJU). 
    • OPT authorization end date
    • For students not completing OPT period, the requested SEVIS I-20 transfer/release date

If the period of time between F-1 activities is longer than 5 months, your SEVIS record is not eligible for transfer. Your new school must issue a new initial I-20 with a new SEVIS number.