Incoming International Students for Fall 2023
Hello from CSB+SJU!
We are so excited to welcome you to campus and are working hard to prepare for your arrival.
This email includes helpful information as well as things you will need to do before you join the CSB+SJU community.
While you are currently working closely with Alex Schleper (Director of International Admission), the Multicultural Center is a great resource as the International Student Services is housed here. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to Malik Stewart (Director, Multicultural Student Services).
If you have not done so:
- Read and go through the Accepted International Students page;
- Submit all necessary information and documentation in the student Forms Portal; Make sure that you fill out the academic form.
- Complete the Pre-Arrival form so we get to know your dietary needs and match you with a current international student as your peer guide.
We will use email to communicate with you:
- You will receive an email soon from an academic advisor (if you haven’t already) that includes information on how to view your fall class schedule. You will have time during New International Student Orientation to make any necessary changes to your schedule.
- Have you gotten in the habit of checking your CSB+SJU email account every day? You receive very important information through your CSB+SJU email account. Always read and respond to emails fromMalik Stewart (Multicultural Center), Alex Schleper (International Admission) and Nichole Matuska (Academic Advising). These are the Student Exchange and Visitor Information System (SEVIS) Designated School Officials (DSO) at CSB+SJU who can answer your questions and guide you through the process of studying in the United States and staying “in status” regarding your F1 student visa.
- Arrival and Move-in time: Please plan to arrive on campus on Tuesday, August 22nd (between 8AM and 5PM). We plan to have a welcoming/get-together dinner at 5pm that day. However, if your arrival time is later than this, it is okay – we understand that international traveling can take time!
- The start of the New International Student Orientation will be on Wednesday, August 23.
- On Thursday, August 24, all new students are expected to attend the General Orientation, which goes through Sunday, August 27. Classes begin on Monday, August 28.
- If you have not done so already, please complete the Arrival Form in the Forms Portal, so we can plan better for your arrival, especially if you would like help from us in arranging transportation from the airport to campus on August 23.
- If your parents or other family members are accompanying you to campus, we have a Students and Parents Panel specifically for them on Wednesday, August 24 in the morning around 9:15am.
- During New International Student Orientation, we have arranged transportation to the local shopping mall. On this trip, you can set up a cell phone plan with a network provider of your choice. Purchasing a cell phone and/or plan with a USA phone number is optional but recommended. If you purchase a U.S. cell phone, we recommend a prepaid plan instead of monthly plan. Read this article to know more about US cellphone plans.
- In the Fall semester, we host an event called Festival of Cultures. Cultures represented on campus are highlighted through student performances, cultural displays, food sampling and fashion. We encourage you to bring traditional clothing and/or items from home to display at this event.
- Bed mattresses at CSB are regular Twin size (38″ x 75″; 96.5cm X 188.0cm), while mattresses at SJU are Twin XL (38″ x 80″; 96.5cm x 203.5cm.
If you plan to bring your own linens, plan to purchase bed sheets and bath towels at home and pack them in your package to be shipped here early enough, so that the mailroom on each campus would have enough time to process your package. It is better to have your packages sent to our office and then email [email protected] to notify us about your delivery.
The mailing address to our office is:
College of Saint Benedict
C/O Multicultural Center, Murray Hall 160
37 South College Avenue
Saint Joseph, MN 56374
- If you are renting a vehicle and driving to CSB+SJU on August 22, you can also stop at Walmart, Kohl’s or a Target store to purchase bed linens and a bath towel, so you have them for your first night in the dorm.
Our international student peer mentors are excited to meet you!
You have been assigned a mentor who will help you transition smoothly to life at CSB+SJU and be a resource for you throughout your first year. Your mentor will meet you upon arrival, take you to your room and accompany you throughout the New International Student Orientation Program.
If you have a concern or question related to COVID-19, please contact us at [email protected] and we will get back to you.