Math Skills Center
CSB Math Skills Center - Main 200 Fall 2019 Hours
SJU Math Skills Center - Alcuin 125 (evenings only) Fall 2019 Hours
If you have not met the prerequisites for a math course, you will not be allowed to register for a math class. Below you will find options to meet this prerequisite.
For an ACT Math score of 20 (SAT Math score of 510-520):
Take the Stats & Modeling QSI or the Calculus QSI. This will depend on your selected major.
- Stats & Modeling QSI – This test is designed to determine if you are prepared for success in Statistics (Math124) or Finite Math (Math122).
- Calculus QSI – This test is designed to determine if you are prepared for success in Essential Calculus (Math118) or Calculus (Math119).
For an ACT Math score of 19 or below (SAT Math score of 500 or below):
- Contact and make an advising appointment with one of the following Math Department members:
- Bret Benesh, Sunil Chetty, Brian Nyholm
- Take Math 111 Pre-Stats & Modeling or Math 115 Pre-Calculus. This will depend on your selected major.
- Math 111 – This course is designed to prepare you for Statistics (Math124), Finite Math (Math122), Math Explorations (Math114), or Fundamentals of Math (Math121).
- Math 115 – This course is designed to prepare you for Essential Calculus (Math118) or Calculus (Math119).
To make an appointment for advising or the QSI Exam, please contact:
Brian Nyholm - Math Skills Center Director
Email: [email protected] (preferred method)
Phone: CSB: 320-363-5236
Calculator Usage for the QSI Exam:
You are NOT allowed to use a graphing calculator on the QSI Exam. A cell phone app is also NOT an acceptible calculator. Pictured below are three recommended scientific calculators to use on the exam. A basic function calculator is also acceptable.
TI-30XIIS, TI-30Xa, and Casio fx-300MS.
Need help in your math class? Check out the list of tutors who can answer your questions (listed by course below).