Reframing the Narrative: Leadership Toward Inclusive Excellence
July 9-11, 2018
On the campuses of the College of Saint Benedict and Saint John’s University
Featured speakers include:
- Rich Karlgaard, Forbes Publisher and Global Futurist, Economic Leader, Entrepreneur and Author
- Freeman Hrabowski, President, University of Maryland, Baltimore County
- Lynn Pasquerella, President, Association of American Colleges and Universities
- Brandon Busteed, Executive Director, Education and Workforce Development, Gallup
- L. Lee Knefelkamp, Senior Fellow, Office of Integrative Liberal Learning and the Global Commons, Association of American Colleges and Universities
- Adam Weinberg, President, Denison University
The current narrative about the liberal arts is a strong indictment: The liberal arts are a luxury for the wealthy. Liberal arts education teaches an outdated canon with no connection to “real life.” The liberal arts provide good outcomes for students who were predisposed to succeed. Liberal arts colleges attract only students and families who already understand our value.
Liberal Arts Illuminated aims to reframe this narrative to highlight the value of the liberal arts in practicing inclusive excellence. The liberal arts provide exceptional guidance for addressing current complex issues in higher education and provide insight to implement practices, policies, and programs fostering success for our institutions and all of our students.
We encourage participants to attend the conference in teams in order to have the most engaging experience and take the most practical learnings back to their campuses.