Take the French Placement Exam.
Did you know...?
- French skills are in high demand on today’s job market.
- French is the fifth most spoken language in the world! Read more here--in French!
- Forty-nine percent (49%) of global recruiters listed French as the language most in demand (after English) for jobs in global development for 2017 compared to 21% for Spanish. According to Devex, "If you speak French, you are well positioned for a job..."
- Students can study abroad during their sophomore, junior or senior years! Learn more at the Center for Global Education.
Funding Opportunities for 2021-2022
TAPIF & Chateaubriand
(for Senior and Graduate Students)
Every year, approximately 1,200 teaching assistantships are offered for American citizens and permanent residents to teach English in public schools across all regions of metropolitan France and in the overseas departments.
Teaching schedule: 12 classroom hours per week
Monthly salary for teaching assistants: approx €790 NET
Applications will open again in mid-October 2021 for the 2022-2023 school year at tapif.org.
The deadline for 2022-2023 applications will be announced.
Attention graduate students!
The Chateaubriand Fellowship is a grant offered by the Embassy of France in the United States. Every year, it allows doctoral students in Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics & Biology-Health and Humanities & Social Sciences enrolled in American universities to conduct research in France for 4 to 9 months. Chateaubriand fellows receive a stipend, a round-trip ticket to France and health insurance.
The next call for applications for 2021-2022 will open in October 2021 at chateaubriand-fellowship.org.
11 Top Reasons To Take French
- The demand for French skills in the US more than doubled between 2010 to 2015. (NAE Report)
- Be understood in 43 countries across five continents and by over 200 million people.
- Knowing French makes you more competitive in the national and international job market in disciplines like business, medicine, aviation, law, automotive, distribution and luxury goods.
- As the third most common language on the Internet, you can connect with pen pals, visit foreign websites and find exchange student opportunities.
- You will develop your critical, creative thinking and problem solving skills. French also provides the base for more than 50% of the modern English vocabulary, which can help you perform better on standardized tests.
- Open the doors to art, music, fashion, food, architecture and literature.
- Learning French helps you learn other Romance languages like Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and Romanian.
- Enhance your travel experiences while discovering a new appreciation for other cultures in countries like: France, Canada, Switzerland Monaco and many African nations [as well as in the Caribbean, Pacific Islands and Indian Ocean territories].
- Use French to pursue studies [or service work] in francophone countries.
- French is a soft, melodious, romantic language with a relatively quick learning curve.
- Promote language diversity throughout the world.
- French is an official working language of the UN, NATO, UNESCO, the International Olympic Committee, the European Union, the International Red Cross and much more!
(From American Association of Teachers of French)