Did you know...?
- Forty-nine percent (49%) of global recruiters listed French as the language most in demand (after English) for jobs in global development for 2017 compared to 21% for Spanish. According to Devex, "If you speak French, you are well positioned for a job this year."
- Students can study abroad during their sophomore, junior or senior years! Learn more at the Center for Global Education.
Follow our students on the 2018 Cannes program!
French Cultural Events
Learn outside the classroom! Dates and events to be updated regularly.
Six French 311 students attended a talk at the Alliance Française in Minneapolis.
La Table Française / French Table
Become more acquainted with the French culture while practicing your language skills with other French students in a relaxed environment. Casual conversation while eating dinner!
Tuesdays • 5:30-6:30 PM Alternating between the Refectory (SJU) & Gorecki Dining Hall (CSB). Look for the French flag!
For more information, click on La Table Française on the calendar
French Game Night
French Mass and Carols - TBD
Mass starts at 3 PM, Sacred Heart Chapel, Saint Benedict's Monastery.
Reception and Cantiques de Noël to follow at 4 PM, Gathering Place, Sacred Heart Chapel.
L-R: Gabe Kwan, Sophia Modeas, Ashley Dalbec, and Prof. Ana Conboy at the Cantiques de Noël on Dec. 10.
Festival Lyrique - Thursday, April 25, 2019, HCC Alum Hall, CSB.
All are welcome to recite a poem, sing a song--original or learned--or perform a skit, whatever you choose in French! RSVP to [email protected] if interested in performing.
Celebrating Scholarship & Creativity Day - April 25, 2019
The Department of Languages and Cultures invites you to attend our students' senior capstone presentations and research.
** Watch for other events such as French Game Night and French Club Events! Crepe nights, French Park!, and more...
11 Top Reasons To Take French
- Be understood in 43 countries across five continents and by over 200 million people.
- Knowing French makes you more competitive in the national and international job market in disciplines like business, medicine, aviation, law, automotive, distribution and luxury goods.
- As the third most common language on the Internet, you can connect with pen pals, visit foreign websites and find exchange student opportunities.
- You will develop your critical, creative thinking and problem solving skills. French also provides the base for more than 50% of the modern English vocabulary, which can help you perform better on standardized tests.
- Open the doors to art, music, fashion, food, architecture and literature.
- Learning French helps you learn other Romance languages like Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and Romanian.
- Enhance your travel experiences while discovering a new appreciation for other cultures in countries like: France, Canada, Switzerland Monaco and many African nations [as well as in the Caribbean, Pacific Islands and Indian Ocean territories].
- Use French to pursue studies [or service work] in francophone countries.
- French is a soft, melodious, romantic language with a relatively quick learning curve.
- Promote language diversity throughout the world.
- French is an official working language of the UN, NATO, UNESCO, the International Olympic Committee, the European Union, the International Red Cross and much more!