Virus Protection for Student-Owned Computers on Campus
Students have the responsibility to prevent the propagation of viruses on the campus network.
- Keeping computers virus-free is accomplished by running up-to-date anti-virus software.
- Students are required to run anti-virus software.
- Students who are propagating viruses will be disconnected from the campus network as stated in the Terms and Conditions for the Use of Information Technology Resources.
Important: Reinstatement of student network connections are subject to a $50 reconnection fee.
CSB/SJU does not promote, endorse or provide technical support for any personal anti-virus software. Below you will find a variety of anti-virus products to choose from, which are free for personal or limited use. If you choose to use one of these products, you are responsible for ensuring you comply with their terms of service.
Note: Windows 8 and Windows 10 includes Windows Defender, which helps protect against viruses and malware. You do not need to download any additional virus software if your computer has Windows 8 or Windows 10.
- Microsoft Security Essentials
- AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
- avast! Free Antivirus
- Avira AntiVir Personal
Note: All CSB/SJU-owned computers must run Symantec EndPoint Protection. The above products are not acceptable for use on CSB/SJU-owned computers.
Please direct any questions related to the information on this page to the IT Services Help Desk at 320-363-2228 or [email protected].