China: Summer Science Research at Southwest University
Beibei, Chongqing, China
June 1 - July 31, 2017
- Conduct research in your area of discipline at China's premier research university.
- Learn and experience daily the rich Chinese culture.
- Work closely with current graduate students at SWU.
- Spend time on weekends visiting historic tourist attractions in the Chongqing area.
- Live with other students on the SWU campus.
- Explore Beibei and Chongqing with students from SWU.
- Eligible to apply for Experiential Learning requirement of the core curriculum.
The Summer Science Research Program at China's Southwest University (SWU) is part of an exchange program that provides Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, and Environmental Studies majors a unique opportunity for research/experiential learning and travel abroad. CSB/SJU students travel to the campus of Southwest University, located in the BeiBei district of China's western municipal-province of Chongqing. Students participate in a research project led by a SWU faculty member. Students conduct research with graduate students from Southwest University- one of China's premier research universities. SWU boasts 97 bachelor programs, 2,650 full-time professors, and 9 post-doctoral research centers and a student population of nearly 50,000. SWU has been a CSB/SJU partner school for over 30 years. Recent research projects that CSB/SJU Research Inters have participated in include: Isolation and Characterization of Phages, Asymmetric Organocatalysis, and the Three Gorges Dam Reservoir Project Research.
The estimated program cost is $2300 plus tuition ($573 per credit) if you intend to do the experience for credit. The program cost will be paid out-of-pocket by the students; only the tuition will be charged to your CSB/SJU student account. The cost of the required CSB/SJU insurance will be covered by the $300 application fee.
This price includes:
- Accommodations during the program
- Local transportation
- Program administrative costs and fees
- Some group meals
- Visa application fees
- Roundtrip airfare from Minneapolis to Chongqing
The Program Fee does not include:
- Some meals (estimated at $2/meal)
- Personal spending money
- Activities, housing or transportation not associated with or included in the program
Students will be housed on the university campus in dorm style housing. Bedding is provided by the university and there is WiFi available. Community cooking facilities are available as well as several student cafeteria options.
Participants are able to apply for this experience to be for-credit as an internship or ILP. Please work with the Office of Experiential Learning and Community Engagement so they can assist you with this process.