Virtual Summer - Ireland & UK Internships
Ireland or UK Virtual Internships
Session I: May 24, 2021 - July 16, 2021
Session II: June 21 - August 13, 2021
Gain international work experience and learn online from your own home. You will complete an online internship placement with a small to mid-sized Irish or British company, which is a pre-professional experience, coupled with an online academic course with our partner FIE.
- Complete an virtual internship with a British or Irish company for 8 weeks averaging 20-25 hours per week
- Enhance your intercultural and communications skills while working from home
- Acquire valuable digital skills that will help set you apart with skills that include motivation, working across time-zones, self-discipline, self-confidence, and the ability to operate entirely through online environments.
- Build skills in digital technologies as well as in essential skills areas, such as intercultural communication skills across digital distance.
Explore Complete Details on the Ireland or UK Virtual Internship CSB/SJU Global Portal.
Course and Program Information
Course Name: International Internship
Course Number: SA 397
Credit Number: 2-4 credits (regardless of credits, all students complete the same number of internship placement hours)
Designation: Experiential Learning (EL)
Spend your summer in a virtual non-paid internship with an Ireland or UK company, coupled with an academic course with our partner FIE. The International Internship Course nurtures an understanding of digital cultures and hones independent working and time management skills. The course component is delivered through video lectures, complemented by readings, materials and exercises. For virtual students, there is an online forum discussion space, led by faculty, to reflect on their internship and to discuss readings. Our partner, FIE will also provide three one-to-one coaching sessions by your FIE Internship Mentor. These facilitate professional development, virtual competencies and career readiness.
What types of internships can be virtual?
A range of business areas. You may be working on marketing projects, undertaking research for a start-up or putting a company’s brand message out on various social media platforms.
You will be placed in a British or Irish company according to your own strengths and interests. If you are flexible and looking to gain transferable workplace skills, you are well-suited to a virtual internship option.
Virtual internships span these sectors:
- Marketing, Advertising & Design
- Film & Video Editing
- Charity & Non-Profit
- Business Administration
- Communications & Journalism
All internship placements are procured by FIE, so students will not need to find their own internship.
Program Cost & Financial Considerations
During a summer program abroad, CSB/SJU students will pay the cost of the required 2-4 CSB/SJU credit(s) at the reduced summer tuition rate ($658/credit). There is no program fee* for this virtual program. This would mean an estimated total of $1,316 for 2 credits or $2,632 for 4 credits.*
*Due to the administrative costs associated with the placement process of our FIE partner, students who cancel from the Virtual at home Internship program after April 15 will be assessed a $500 cancellation fee on your student account.
Find Program Fee information on the Ireland or UK Virtual Internship Summer CSB/SJU Global Portal.
- Individualized placement matching using FIE’s 20 years experience and industry networks
- A virtual internship placement experience with a company based in Ireland or the UK
- Preparation with an online orientation and guidance throughout
- A dedicated FIE Internship Mentor
- Networking and forum discussion opportunities with other FIE interns
- Employer feedback (appraisal) on your performance
- Expert academic contextualization through an online course with academic credit
Students should plan early for a successful study abroad experience. For all 2021 sessions, our partner FIE will offer a number of full scholarships to make online internships more accessible. Check out our FIE Scholarships web page for more information.