China: Summer Science Research at Southwest University
Beibei, Chongqing, China
May 23- July 21, 2019
- Conduct research in your area of discipline at China's premier research university.
- Learn and experience daily the rich Chinese culture.
- Work closely with current graduate students at SWU.
- Spend time on weekends visiting historic tourist attractions in the Chongqing area.
- Live with other students on the SWU campus.
- Explore Beibei and Chongqing with students from SWU.
- Eligible to apply for Experiential Learning requirement of the core curriculum.
Course & Program Information
Participants are able to apply for this experience to be for-credit as an internship or ILP. Please work with the Experience and Professional Development Office or with your home department to register this experience for credit.
The Summer Science Research Program at China's Southwest University (SWU) is part of an exchange program that provides Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, and Environmental Studies majors a unique opportunity for research/experiential learning and travel abroad. CSB/SJU students travel to the campus of Southwest University, located in the BeiBei district of China's western municipal-province of Chongqing. Students participate in a research project led by a SWU faculty member. Students conduct research with graduate students from Southwest University- one of China's premier research universities. SWU boasts 97 bachelor programs, 2,650 full-time professors, and 9 post-doctoral research centers and a student population of nearly 50,000. SWU has been a CSB/SJU partner school for over 30 years. Recent research projects that CSB/SJU Research Inters have participated in include: Isolation and Characterization of Phages, Asymmetric Organocatalysis, and the Three Gorges Dam Reservoir Project Research.
Program Cost & Financial Considerations
The estimated program fee is $1,100. Additionally, students will pay the cost of 1-4 CSB/SJU credit(s) at the reduced summer tuition rate ($635 per credit).
The program fee includes:
- Housing while the program is in session
- Visa fees
- CISI Medical & Evacuation Insurance
- Program administrative cost and fees
The program fee does not include:
- Non-program travel or housing
- Local transportation
- Roundtrip airfare
- Food/meal expenses
- Personal expenses
The Short-Term Financing Brochure includes estimates for the items not included in the program fee, along with information regarding scholarships for study abroad.
Students will be housed on the university campus in dorm style housing. Bedding is provided by the university and there is WiFi available. Community cooking facilities are available as well as several student cafeteria options.
- Program Advisor: Nichole Matuska, Center for Global Education