France - Montpellier
Live and study in Montpellier, one of France's fastest-growing cities and home to thousands of university students from around the world. Near both the Mediterranean Sea and the Cévennes Mountains, a semester in Montpellier give you easy access to the cultural activities and historical sites of the city and the beauty of the natural world. An overnight excursion to the medieval cities of Carcassonne, Lagrasse and the Cathars' castles, and day trips across the south of France included. Students with 2 years of French can complete an internship during their semester abroad.
Explore complete France-Montpellier Program details on the CSB+SJU Global Portal.
The CSB+SJU program is based at the University of Minnesota's Montpellier Study Abroad Center. Depending on your area of interest, you will take courses alongside international and French students at the UMN Study Center, University Paul Valery, and/or University of Montpellier. Complete academic programs in English and French available.
- COLG 385 - Study Abroad Seminar (4 cr) (CS/GL/EX/BN) offered if Faculty-Led
- French Language Course at appropriate level (REQUIRED for all students who have not complete FREN 312 on campus)
- FREN 111 - Elementary French I Abroad (5 cr)
- FREN 112 - Elementary French II Abroad (5 cr)
- FREN 211 - Intermediate French I Abroad (5 cr)
- FREN 212 - Intermediate French II Abroad (5 cr)
- FREN 311 - French Conversation/Composition Abroad I (3 cr)
- FREN 312 - French Conversation/Composition Abroad II (3 cr)
- SA 370 - France Pending Courses (9-12 cr). Choose 3-4 Electives from the UMN course list with CSB+SJU Integrations Curriculum attributes.
For course descriptions and more information, refer to the course list links above and the CSBSJU-Global Portal. To explore study abroad course options and how they work with the Integrations Curriculum, Common Curriculum, and departmental requirements, checkout our new CGE Study Abroad Course Database.
The France Program offers the option to choose your housing:
- Homestay - Fully immerse yourself in French culture living in a French home. You will live with another CSB+SJU student in French homestay, and be provided with breakfast and dinner weekdays and all meals on weekends. You are responsible for your own lunchtime meals M-F and on excursions.
- Apartment - Live in a traditional French shared apartment with 1 to 3 other program participants. Your neighbors will be Montpellier residents and peopel in all stages of their lves! You will buy all your own food and prepare your own meals.
During a semester abroad, CSB+SJU students pay the same tuition as if on campus. Instead of paying CSB+SJU Housing and Meal Plan, all students studying abroad pay an Education Abroad Program Fee. Find Program Fee information on the CSB+SJU Global Portal.
Students should plan early for a successful study abroad experience. Financial aid and scholarships may be available to help with program costs, but must be searched out well in advance.
Please note: to obtain the required visa to study on this program you will need to submit your visa application in person at a France VFS Visa Application Center. This is not included in your program fee.
- CSB+SJU Global Portal
- Study Abroad 101
- Fall 2023 Program Director: Ana Conboy, Languages and Cultures
- Program Manager: Nicole Clements, Center for Global Education
Program Director Information
Ana Fonseca Conboy, Ph.D., is Associate Professor of French at CSBSJU. She has led the France Study Abroad program (fall 2018) and is eager to return with another great group of students. Her areas of interest lie in 17th century French theater, second language pedagogy, and contemplative pedagogy. On campus, you will find her working closely with the French Club and the French Cultural Events Assistant. She can't wait to meet you!