Chiapas, Mexico - San Cristobal de las Casas
New for Spring 2023 - CSB/SJU Study Abroad in Chiapas!
Experience immersion in and intensive study of Spanish language and Latin American culture on the Chiapas, Mexico Program. CSB/SJU students live and study in San Cristobal de las Casas, Chiapas, a historic colonial city in the Mexican highlands. This charming city is surrounded by Totzil and Tzeltal villages, with mountains nearby.
- Explore complete Chiapas - San Cristobal de las Casas Program details on the CSBSJU-Global Portal.
Kick start your Spanish language learning through three weeks of focused language instruction. Your program in Chiapas will begin with daily, intensive Spanish lessons, designed to help you grow in your skill and comfort with the language. These small-group classes with CSB/SJU students will help you build a solid language foundation to continue your studies in Chiapas.
After these first three weeks, you will continue your Spanish classes and add in elective courses from a range of subjects designed for learning more about Chiapas and meeting requirements of the Integrations Curriculum.
The Study Abroad Seminar course, group activities, and program excursions span both phases. The program serves students of Hispanic Studies, Latino/Latin American Studies, Pre-Health majors, and a wide range of humanities and social sciences.
Course offerings are currently under review, but will include:
- 4 cr. Study Abroad Seminar (IC/EL; CS/GLO/EXP)
- 4 cr. Spanish language course at the appropriate level (interested students can substitute 4 cr. Spanish Language and Perspectives on Health)
- 4 credits upper division Hispanic Studies electives (FA; AE - pending)
- 4 credits upper division Hispanic Studies electives (SW - pending)
For course descriptions, refer to the CSBSJU-Global Portal.
Participants live one-to-a-family in homes in San Cristobal de las Casas, Chiapas. Meals are provided in their home. This meal arrangement covers the duration of the academic program and is included in the cost of the program. On excursions the director will arrange for some group meals, but students will be responsible for other meals.
During a semester abroad, CSB/SJU students pay the same tuition as if on campus. Instead of paying CSB/SJU Housing and Meal Plan, all students studying abroad pay an Education Abroad Program Fee. Find Program Fee information on the CSBSJU-Global Portal.
- CSBSJU-Global Portal
- Study Abroad 101
- Program will accept applications for Spring 2023 beginning in November 2021
- Fall 2022 Program Director: Roy Ketchum, Hispanic Studies
- Program Manager: Nicole Clements, Center for Global Education