Other Programs Abroad
CSB+SJU is excited to see students seeking and participating in many activities located outside of the United States. In order to make well-informed international travel decisions and to improve the safety and quality of sponsored international activities, CSB+SJU has an international travel policy that applies to any international activity funded, endorsed, organized, or implemented by CSB+SJU faculty, students, staff, or administration involving CSB+SJU students. These activities include, but are not limited to:
- Study Abroad programs
- Campus Ministry trips
- Field studies
- Community Engaged Learning
- Athletic competitions
- Art performances or exhibitions
- Volunteer or experiential learning
- Any other formal, non-credit bearing international travel by students organized and/or sponsored by CSB+SJU, a CSB+SJU unit, or a CSB+SJU faculty or staff member, including individuals supported wholly or in part by CSB+SJU funding in the form of a grant, scholarship, or assistantship, or while on CSB+SJU payroll.
Please note that this policy only applies to CSB+SJU faculty and staff if they are traveling with CSB+SJU students.
International Travel Registration
In an effort to support valuable educational activities and reduce potential risks to its students, faculty, and staff, CSB+SJU requires that all students traveling internationally with institutional affiliation register their international travel through the CSB+SJU Center for Global Education International Travel Registration. The Center for Global Education is responsible for the administration and oversight of the International Travel Registration.
- To register your group's international travel, first complete the International Travel Permission Form at least 4-6 months prior to your proposed travel dates.
- If your destination is at or above a level 3 advisory according to the U.S. State Department Travel Advisory system, the program will also need to apply for a Travel Exception Request.
- After approval of the CSB+SJU sponsored international activity, the following items are required:
- Submit specific program travel details to CGE.
- All students must complete the International Travel Registration on the CSBSJU-Global Portal and review the CSB+SJU Center for Global Education Student Handbook.
- All CSB+SJU students, faculty, and staff on CSB+SJU sponsored international activities are required to be fully vaccinated and boosted (when eligible) for COVID-19 and have health and travel insurance, for which they will be charged a daily rate.
Group Travel is defined by more than one enrolled CSB+SJU student traveling together abroad and who are going as part of a CSB+SJU program, club, organization, or to an event, and who utilize any CSB+SJU funding.
These groups are required to have a CSB+SJU faculty, staff, or monastic community member accompany the program in the role of an advisor. The role of the advisor can vary based upon the structure of the group, but must include the following:
- Attend as representative of The College of Saint Benedict+Saint John's University.
- Represent CSB+SJU by adhering to and upholding all CSB+SJU policies.
- Encourage and support the student leaders of this trip to be the leaders of the trip.
- Step in and take charge in emergency situations and/or when students exhibit poor judgment in a way that could cause harm or injury to self or others.
- Commit to the team and trip preparation.
- Learn as much as possible about the issues and the culture you will be experiencing on the trip.
The travel expenses of the advisor, including single room accommodation, round-trip airfare, any visa costs, and insurance, must be covered by the student organization or the students participating in the program abroad.
Please contact CGE at 320-363-5952 or [email protected] with any questions regarding the process.