Your Student Wants to Study Abroad. What Next?
If your students and advisees are interested in studying abroad, here are some steps you can take to support them:
- Learn about all the opportunities for global learning at CSB/SJU.
- Explore all the Education Abroad Programs offered by CGE
- Study Abroad 101 Session: Get the basics of studying abroad in this workshop hosted by CGE student workers. Designed for students, it is also a great intro to study abroad at CSB/SJU for faculty and advisors! Unable to attend a live session? Check out the Study Abroad 101 advising handout we give to students to help them in their decision making process!
- Navigate the Start your Search section of our website to learn the steps students take to narrow their search and apply to any program for study abroad.
- Semester - While it is most common for Bennies and Johnnies to study abroad during their 3rd year, students can also study abroad on semester programs during their 2nd or 4th year.
- Short-term - Students can study abroad on short-term experiences at any point in their 4-yr experience.
- Create a plan to study abroad and stay on track for graduation.
- Help students set academic, personal and professional goals for their study abroad experience. How do those goals align with their other goals at CSB/SJU?
- Help students map out which courses they should reserve to take on study abroad (major/minor, general elective, Common/Integrations Curriculum, etc.). Be sure that students are able to stay on track for graduation with study abroad (accounting for sequential courses, courses only offered certain semesters, etc.).
- Encourage students to engage with CGE.
- We offer Study Abroad 101 sessions throughout the academic year for students to learn more about international opportunities at CSB/SJU.
- Students should attend our annual Study Abroad Fair to talk with program directors and past study abroad participants.
- CGE is here to support students in their study abroad planning. Students can schedule an appointment anytime using the HIVE