Study Abroad COVID-19 Acknowledgement Form
COLLEGE OF ST. BENEDICT/ST. JOHN’S UNIVERSITY
Due to the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, there are enhanced risks associated with travel and your study abroad program. The College of St. Benedict and St. John’s University (“CSB/SJU”) continually monitor the U.S. State Department, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the World Health Organization and local governmental health ministries to help guide our study abroad programmatic decisions. However, while CSB/SJU strive to make your study abroad programs as safe as possible, all risks cannot be eliminated or anticipated on your program.
So that you can make an informed decision about your participation in your program, we ask you to acknowledge your understanding of the enhanced COVID-19 risks associated with study abroad by reading the information provided below and by signing this COVID-19 Acknowledgement Form.
As a CSB/SJU student, who is voluntarily participating in a study abroad program, I understand and acknowledge that:
- I have read the CSB/SJU semester or short-term study abroad programs cancellation policies.
- I have reviewed the U.S. State Department Travel Advisory & the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention country-specific information for my program location(s), as well as their COVID-19 information for my program location(s).
- I understand that it is possible to contract COVID-19 and other infectious diseases even if I follow all of the safety precautions and guidelines recommended by the CDC and other governmental health officials and I acknowledge that CSB/SJU cannot and does not guaranty that my participation in the program is absolutely safe or that circumstances will not change.
- I understand that if the situation in my program location deteriorates due to COVID-19 outbreaks, CSB/SJU may cancel my program and I will be expected to leave the program location immediately. I understand that CSB/SJU has no control over, or ability to predict, such events. CSB/SJU will not be financially liable for unrecoverable program fees, return travel costs, or other personal expenditures lost as a result of my program’s cancellation or modification.
- I understand that there may be modifications to the program with little or no notice in response to surges in COVID-19 infection rates or in response to local governmental instructions. This may include modifications to the program calendar, weekly schedule, classroom environment, course delivery, housing arrangements, internship placements, transportation policies, and inter-continental or in-country travel restrictions.
- I understand that the international insurance coverage provided by CSB/SJU does not cover evacuation or other accommodations due to disruption to travel plans resulting from a pandemic. Coverage does include the ability to seek recovery of medical expenses incurred resulting from the treatment of COVID-19, but does not extend to losses for travel and accommodation or quarantine expenses. I understand and acknowledge that I am solely responsible for these expenses.
- I understand my program or local government entity may have specific safety policies/protocols that I am required to follow while present on-site such as self-quarantine upon arrival to their destination, and that this quarantine accommodation will be at my own expense. The terms, costs and enforcement of such quarantine(s) is outside the purview of CSB/SJU.
- I understand my program or local government entity may require me to submit to testing regimes, provide reports on body-temperature readings, share travel and contact information upon request, abide by facial mask mandates, and submit to self-isolation and/or quarantine at any point during my program.
- I understand that arrangements for continuity of care and/or treatment of any existing medical or mental health conditions, whether covered by personal insurance or otherwise, are my sole responsibility and should be made prior to the start of my program, and should account for possible travel restrictions and/or lockdowns.
- I understand that United States Consular Services and American Citizen Services may be unavailable, restricted, or cancelled without notice, in my program’s destination.
- I understand that cancellations and disruptions to travel arrangements, as well as local and national lockdowns may limit or adversely impact my ability to arrive to – or depart from – my program, as well as possibly inhibit my movement within my program’s country.
- I understand that, upon return from my time abroad, I may be required to self-quarantine, and the details and costs of such arrangements are solely my responsibility.
I have read the foregoing representations and cautions and understand that along with other risks there are specific COVID-19 risks associated with participating in a study abroad program at this time, and by my signature below agree to assume those risks and affirm my voluntary decision to participate in the Study Abroad Program of CSB/SJU.
Name of Participant Date