Your personal safety while you are away from home is very important to the Center for Global Education and to your family and friends. While no off-campus program can offer an absolute guarantee that students will be safe from injury or crime, there are many steps you can take to reduce your risks. It is our experience that most of the issues that arise from traveling in today's climate of uncertainty can be addressed by heightened awareness and common sense.
Though we fully commit ourselves to the safety and well being of our study abroad participants, there are some limitations. With regard to study abroad, CSB/SJU, the Center for Global Education, and its program directors:
- Cannot guarantee or assure the safety and/or security of participants or eliminate all risks from the study abroad environments.
- Cannot monitor or control all of the daily personal decisions, choices, and activities of participants.
- Cannot prevent participants from engaging in illegal, dangerous, or unwise activities.
- Cannot assure that U.S. standards of due process apply in overseas legal proceedings, or provide or pay for legal representation for participants.
- Cannot assume responsibility for actions or for events that are not part of our programs, nor for those that are beyond the control of our partner institutions, or for situations that may arise due to the failure of a participant to disclose pertinent information.
- Cannot assure that U.S. cultural values and norms will apply in the host country.