LGBTQ+ Identity Abroad
Being abroad will present opportunities to think about identity in a whole new cultural context, which can be a rewarding learning experience that challenges your preconceived notions of what it means to be LGBTQ+. Asserting your LGBTQ+ identity abroad has been described by some as a second "coming out." How will you re-establish your identity overseas?
Attitudes and laws regarding LGBTQ+ individuals vary widely around the world. Some countries that you choose to study may be more or less supportive of the LGBTQ+ community than in the United States. Learn as much as possible before you leave about the culture-specific norms of the country you will be studying in.
It is helpful to think carefully about your goals for study abroad. How important is it to be in a location that is relatively inclusive of LGBTQ+ individuals? What if your academic goals lead you to a place that does not fit this ideal? Some LGBTQ+ students may find that the perfect program is in a location that is less affirming. A great deal can be learned from this type of experience; there is no right or wrong place to study for LGBTQ+ students!
- QPLUS (Q+) A progressive social and political organization on our campuses who endeavor to promote the full inclusion and advocacy for LGBTQ+ folx, while intersectionally working to dismantle prejudice, discrimination, and oppression toward and within the LGBTQ+ community on campus.
- CSB/SJU Counseling and Health Promotion Professional service and peer programs foster the health, development, and success of women and men. They empower students through informative programs and resources.
- International Lesbian and Gay Association A world-wide federation of national and local groups dedicated to achieving equal rights for lesbians, gay men, bisexuals and transgendered people everywhere.
- OutRight Action International OutRight works at the international, regional and national levels to research, document, defend, and advance human rights for LGBTQ+ people around the world.
- NAFSA Rainbow SIG A comprehensive resource for LGBTQ+ students preparing to study abroad including articles, scholarship information and country guides.