GLBT Identity Abroad
Being abroad will present opportunities to think about identity in a whole new cultural context, which can be a rewarding learning experience that challenges your preconceived notions of what it means to be GLBT. Asserting your GLBT identity abroad has been described by some as a second "coming out." How will you re-establish your identity overseas?
Attitudes and laws regarding GLBT individuals vary widely around the world. Some countries that you choose to study may be more or less supportive of the GLBT community than in the United States. Learn as much as possible before you leave about the culture-specific norms of the country you will be studying in.
It is helpful to think carefully about your goals for study abroad. How important is it to be in a location that is relatively inclusive of GLBT individuals? What if your academic goals lead you to a place that does not fit this ideal? Some GLBT students may find that the perfect program is in a location that is less affirming. A great deal can be learned from this type of experience; there is no right or wrong place to study for GLBT students!
- P.R.i.S.M A progressive social and political organization on our campuses who endeavor to set a standard showing others that all parts of one's true self, sexual orientation included, should be welcomed and accepted by society.
- CSB/SJU Counseling and Health Promotion Professional service and peer programs foster the health, development, and success of women and men. They empower students through informative programs and resources.
- International Lesbian and Gay Association A world-wide federation of national and local groups dedicated to achieving equal rights for lesbians, gay men, bisexuals and transgendered people everywhere.
- International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission: IGLHRC's mission is to advance the human rights of those persons around the world who are subject to discrimination or abuse based on sexual orientation, gender identity, or HIV status through documentation, advocacy, coalition building, public education, and technical assistance.
- NAFSA Rainbow SIG A comprehensive resource for GLBT students preparing to study abroad including articles, scholarship information and country guides.