Short-term Interview Process
For any short-term program, an interview may be a part of the selection criteria. Interviews are required for the Global Fellowship programs. See Application timeline for relevant dates. The program director or Center for Global Education will notify you via email with details of the application review process and if required instructions on how to sign up for the interview. Interviews will last approximately 15 minutes.
The key to any successful interview is PREPARATION. When preparing for your Global Fellowship or Short-term program interview, you should have clearly defined goals and objectives for learning, and concrete reasons for why you want to study abroad on that given program. A good rule of thumb is to practice, plan, and organize your thoughts for your interview, just as you would for a job interview. Make sure to dress professionally and to read the current events of the host country before the interview.
Experience and Professional Development office will conduct practice interviews utilizing the career assistants to help you prepare for your interview. The 20-30 minute mock-interviews will be conducted at both centers. Please call for an appointment:
- CSB Center, Clemens Library, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. – 320-363-5557
- SJU Center, Mary Hall 25, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. – 320-363-3383
Here are some examples of questions that will likely be asked during your interview:
- How will this program fit with your academic plan?
- How will this experience enhance your future career?
- What skills, strengths, abilities and characteristics make you a strong applicant?
- How do you contribute to a group?
- What do you know about the host country?
You will also be asked specifically to address any violations that you have on your record.