The application process is competitive, and space is limited. Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee acceptance.
Criteria are not listed by order of importance; all are considered as part of a holistic application review.
- GPA - minimum of 2.5*. If you have a GPA below 2.5, but are not on academic probation, you can apply and your application will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. *NOTE: The Cork - Ireland program has a minimum GPA requirement of 3.0. The Dublin - Ireland program has a minimum GPA requirement of 2.75. If you are interested in one of these programs, but do not meet the minimum GPA requirement, meet with the CGE program manager prior to application to discuss options.
- Quality of Study Abroad Application Essays and Resume submitted through the CSBSJU-Global Portal.
- Quality of Study Abroad Interview.
- Letters of recommendation from the academic advisor, a faculty member, a non-faculty member, and a language instructor (if applicable).
- Language proficiency - if it is a program requirement. Note the program specific websites for details.
- Preference is given to qualified seniors, qualified juniors, and qualified sophomores, in that order.
- Special consideration will be given to students whose study abroad plans were interrupted by COVID-19.
- CSB/SJU students who have never been on a CSB/SJU sponsored semester program receive preference over students who have already participated in a CSB/SJU semester program. Previous short-term study abroad participation is not factored in these selection criteria.
- A disciplinary violation could affect acceptance to a study abroad program. A student on disciplinary probation cannot participate on a semester study abroad program.
- Qualified students from CSB/SJU receive preference over students with similar qualifications from other colleges and universities.
When a program is filled to capacity, a ranked waiting list of qualified students will be kept to fill any cancellations.
A student cannot be accepted to a program if he/she has not completed the application process.