Why Gender Studies?
Studying gender provides you with a focus on the role of gender in both the lives of men and women, a combination that recognizes the collaboration between CSB as a women's college and SJU as a men's college.
In addition to learning about important perspectives and increasing awareness of social roles, Gender Studies provides the knowledge needed to make you more effective and marketable in your profession.
1. Students will be able to apply multidisciplinary frameworks to:
- Contribute to an inter- or multi-disciplinary consideration of gender and/or sexuality over time and across cultures;
- Investigate how concepts of gender intersect with factors such as race, class, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and/or nationality;
- Demonstrate how social, political, legal, and/or economic power is experienced differently on the basis of gender;
- Analyze controversial gender-related issues.
2. Students will be able to relate knowledge gained in their Gender Studies coursework to a broader spectrum by:
- Articulating how it relates to the world around them;
- Participating in an experiential learning project designed in consultation with the Gender Studies faculty.
Did you know that...
- Businesses prefer applicants with awareness of gender dynamics in leadership
- Government and non-profits look for graduates with knowledge of gender implications in public policy
- Graduate programs expect students to have expertise in the scholarship of gender and women's studies
- Schools look for teachers whose teaching methods display gender awareness
- Health providers expect knowledge of gender and its impact in health research
- Global initiatives require knowledge of gender roles in other countries
In short, Gender Studies will help you understand the world and function better in it.