Resources for Applicants


Q: Can students combine undergraduate majors that may include disciplines not normally allowed by the Goldwater Scholarship Program?  Examples might include Mathematics/Economics or Biology/Psychology.

A: Yes, with some limitations. The Goldwater application must be a research emphasis in mathematics, science, or engineering.  Students who seek double majors should explain how the non-science major will be incorporated into and enhance the science research career.

Q: Is there one area of the Goldwater application that is more important than others?

A: No.  The evaluation of all Goldwater nominees places equal emphasis on academic achievement, progress toward research goals, the research essay, and letters of recommendation.

Q: Is it a requirement that Goldwater nominees complete a research project before applying?

A: No.  Research experience is important to verify that nominees are making progress toward a research career. Juniors are more successful than sophomores in the Goldwater scholarship review process, in part, because of greater research opportunities and experience.  However, a completed research project is not a requirement for a successful application.


Q: Who is eligible for the Gilman International Scholarship?

A: To be eligible for the Gilman International Scholarship applicants must be U.S.-citizens and undergraduate students who are currently enrolled in an accredited institution of higher education in the U.S.  All applicants must be receiving a Federal Pell grant, or provide proof that they will be receiving a Pell Grant during the term of study abroad, at the time of application. Students must be applying to a study abroad program eligible for undergraduate academic credit at their home university.

Q: I have never traveled or studied abroad before.  Should I apply?

A: Yes, a principal objective of the Gilman Scholarship Program is to expand international educational opportunities by encouraging applications from students who have not previously studied abroad for undergraduate academic credit.

Q: What is a Federal Pell Grant?

A: A Federal Pell Grant is a form of federal financial aid that students apply for via the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you are unsure if you are receiving a Pell Grant please contact your financial aid advisor to confirm your aid status. 

Q: What study abroad programs are eligible for the Gilman International Scholarship?

A: Any study abroad program that is eligible for undergraduate academic credit is eligible for the Gilman International Scholarship.  This includes, but is not limited to, university or program provider administered study abroad programs, credit-bearing service-learning programs, academic internship programs, student teaching abroad programs, and programs that combine field or other research, etc.

Q: I'm not participating in a study abroad program but am rather applying for a full-degree program overseas whereby I will receive a degree directly from an international institution. Am I eligible to apply?

A: No, only U.S. citizens currently enrolled as undergraduate students at a U.S. institution of higher education and participating in a study abroad program of up to one academic year are eligible for the Gilman Program.  The Gilman Scholarship does not fund full-degree study overseas.

Q: What is the minimum length of study required to be eligible to apply for the Gilman Scholarship?  Are short-term programs eligible?

A: Programs must be a minimum of four weeks and a maximum of one academic year.  Short-term programs are eligible so long as they fall within the eligible start dates for each cycle and are at least four weeks long. The program that you participate in must be a university-approved study abroad program that is eligible for undergraduate, academic credit at CSB/SJU for CSB/SJU students.

Q: Are multi-country programs eligible?

A: Yes, multi-country programs are eligible so long as you will spend a minimum of four weeks in one country.  Within the application essay you should list the country you will spend the majority of your time abroad in and then within your essay you can share further information on the structure and location of your program abroad.

Carpe Diem

Q: Do I have to major in a specific area of interest, if awarded the scholarship?

A: You do not have to declare a major if you are a high school senior or college freshman. You are expected you to have a vision for the future and be able to describe your role in pursuing your goals.