Frequently Asked Questions


How do I receive my son's or daughter's grades?
 Please talk to your son or daughter regarding their academic progress and grades.  You may also ask them to provide you with their Banner ID number and WSC (Web Security Code) to access their grades,.  This is the same Banner ID number and WSC you use to get in to Banner Web to pay their bills.  See also FERPA Disclosure Form.

What about mid-term grades?
Midterm grades are reported for first-year students and are available on Banner Web Self Service. These midterm marks are not permanently recorded grades and have no effect on a student's grade point average.

Is class attendance mandatory?
There is no universal policy regarding class attendance. Each professor sets the standard for class attendance and this standard is usually articulated in the class syllabus. Many faculty members consider attendance and participation in determining the final grade a student earns.

back to top

Who should my student see if he or she is having difficulty with coursework, exams or a professor?
There are resources available to your students for these issues. One of the best resources is your student's faculty advisor who is also the instructor for his or her First Year Seminar (FYS) course. The staff in Academic Advising on both campuses are also available to assist students with questions or concerns about academic difficulties.

How much time should students spend on homework?
The general rule is that students should spend two to three hours on homework for each class meeting.

Does my student need to bring a computer and printer to campus?
Students are encouraged to bring a computer; however, owning your own computer is not required. It's simply a matter of convenience. Ethernet ports are provided in all residence hall rooms so students can connect their PCs to the campus network. All residence halls have computer labs which are available to students 24-hours a day. In addition, students can use computers in access areas or labs on either campus that are open from 8 a.m. - 2 a.m. on most days. These PCs are loaded with academic specific and popular general purpose applications. Whether you own a computer or not, all students have network accounts with ample data storage space, which are backed up regularly, and can be accessed from either their own computer or from any other PC on campus. Printers are also available in all the campus computer labs and most students use this option as they can then avoid the expense of purchasing paper and printing supplies for their own personal printer. However, some students do like having the convenience of a printer in their room.

back to top

How much money does my student need at school?

There are a few options for your student's money needs while at school.  You and your student can determine what will work best for you

  1. Provide your daughter or son with a limited amount of money to start the school year, $50-$100 for example.  Monitor your student's cash needs over the first few weeks and adjust the amount accordingly.
  2. Students may add money to a Bookstore Bucks Prepaid Account to purchase items at either bookstore by using their ID card.  This will allow them to take care of most incidental purchases that are easily done at the bookstore.
  3. Students can utilize personal debit cards or credit cards for purchases made on campus for items at the bookstore, fine arts event tickets, off-campus activities, etc.  There are ATM machines located on both campuses that can be used for cash withdrawals.

Should students have a car?
There are no restrictions regarding personal vehicles on campus; however, there is also no pressing need for students to have a personal car. For most students with vehicles it is a personal preference. Students with vehicles on-campus must register them with CSB Security or SJU Life Safety and purchase a parking permit. Short term permits are also available. The Link (the inter campus shuttle service) provides safe and convenient transportation to and from each campus and St. Cloud.

What about laundry?
All residence halls have laundry facilities located in a central area or on each residence hall floor. There is no charge to students for the use of the machines.

back to top

When can guests be in the residence halls?
In order to provide an environment that nurtures the gender specific nature of our community guests of the opposite sex at both CSB and SJU must abide by Open House Hours. On each campus Open House Hours as are follows:

  • Sunday -Thursday: 9:00 am - 12 am (midnight)
  • Friday - Saturday: 9:00 am - 2:00 am

It will be important for your student to discuss with his or her roommate their expectations regarding guests. If a student is uncomfortable with the situation in his or her room in regard to guests it is important for the student to speak with his or her Resident Assistant (RA) so the issue can be discussed and resolved between the roommates.

Are students allowed to loft their beds?
Yes, students on both campuses are allowed to loft their beds, but the lofts must be rented via the official vendor for each school. Students are not allowed to construct their own lofts on either campus.

back to top

What happens if there are roommate problems?
Roommate problems should be brought to the attention of the Resident Assistant who will help the roommates try to resolve the issue or conflict. Assistance can also be provided by the Faculty Resident (SJU) or Residence Director (CSB) who are professional staff members living in the community with the students. Please be aware that the process for resolving roommate conflicts emphasizes communication between the individuals. If the problems cannot be resolved in a mutually acceptable way, a room change may take place based on space that is available.

Whom can I talk to if I have a concern about my child?
The Dean of Students Offices at Saint Ben's and Saint John's are able to provide general information. They are also able to refer parents to other appropriate offices that can discuss specific concerns.

back to top

What happens if my student gets sick at school?

Both colleges offer health services for students.  The College of Saint Benedict Health Service, located in the lower level of Lottie Hall, in conjunction with Counseling and Health Promotion forms the CSB Health Center. The Health Service is designed with the specific needs of college women in mind. The women of Saint Benedict will find an experienced staff who can address their needs in a comfortable, confidential environment.  The Health Service offers primary care including treatment of acute illnesses, injuries and mental health concerns; preventative health exams; travel consults; and immunizations. Hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. To better serve patients, appointments are preferred and can be made on-line, if desired.

HealthPartners Central Minnesota Clinics operates a clinic at Saint John's University providing primary care and urgent care services in the south wing of the Quadrangle on 1st floor. The clinic is open Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. during the fall and spring semesters. Days and hours of service may be reduced during breaks and over the summer. Services offered include checkups, physical examinations, immunizations, travel consultations and vaccinations, urgent care and treatments. NovaCare physical therapy services are available here also. HealthPartners operates on a fee-for-service basis and accepts most insurance plans.

There are also a variety of health care providers in the St. Cloud area including a clinic in St. Joseph. It is important that you check with your insurance provider to identify the provider that your student should use so that out-of-network costs are not incurred. All students are required to have health insurance. Students not covered under another policy can enroll in the group insurance offered through CSB/SJU. The residential life staff at both CSB and SJU as well as the Security and Life Safety staff can also provide your student with assistance if he or she becomes ill. For serious situations, we utilize the resources of Gold Cross Ambulance and the St. Cloud Hospital.

What happens if there is an emergency and I need to reach my child when campus offices are closed?
CSB Campus Security and SJU Life Safety Services are staffed 24 hours, 7 days a week, and can assist you in an emergency. CSB Campus Security can be reached at (320) 363-5000 and SJU Life Safety can be reached at (320) 363-2144.

Where can I find information about crime on campus?
CSB and SJU are in full compliance with the Campus Security Act and as such publish an annual report of all crimes reported to their office.

back to top

How can I help my child make good decisions regarding alcohol use?
The partnership between CSB/SJU, parents and students is especially important in the area of alcohol use. It is important that you have ongoing discussions with your son or daughter about alcohol use. Share your values and beliefs about alcohol with your student, as well as your own experiences, positive and negative. Be clear in what you expect of your student regarding issues such as attending classes, drinking and driving, financial responsibility, study time vs. social time, and staying in touch. Start the conversation prior to your son or daughter leaving for college, and then keep the conversation going. The first few months of college are very liberating for a new student, but also a time when support from parents really needed.

What are CSB and SJU doing help students make good decisions regarding alcohol use?
CSB and SJU emphasize the importance of students making healthy, responsible choices regarding alcohol use. In addition to educating students about health issues related to alcohol, we are trying to empower students themselves to influence their peers to be responsible in their use or non-use of alcohol. Data collected from our student body indicates that most college students do not abuse alcohol and many choose to completely refrain from alcohol use. We are trying to correct the perception that "everyone else is doing it" by providing evidence that not everyone else is doing it. We are also countering the attitude that "there's nothing else to do." Each week and weekend includes many options for activities that provide an alternative to partying and drinking. These events and activities are advertised in many different venues including our What's on Weekdays and What's on Weekends table tents in all of our dining areas. Policies regarding the illegal use of alcohol are clearly communicated to students and violations are addressed via the student conduct system that emphasizes education and responsibility. First year students will also be receiving information about an on-line alcohol education program,, which they are required to complete prior to coming to campus this fall.

Is alcohol abuse a problem at CSB/SJU?
The misuse and abuse of alcohol is a concern at any college campus, and as a parent of a college student, you have probably wondered about your son or daughter's potential for use and/or abuse of alcohol. Media reports and statistics suggest that concern is warranted. Nationally, just over 70% of high school seniors who graduated in 2003, reported using alcohol during the previous year. Data collected from CSB/SJU first year students yields similar results. It is very important to know that our data also shows that the majority of CSB and SJU students drink at safe levels or choose not to drink at all. As a college community, we strive to help students make healthy and responsible choices regarding alcohol use and to support those who choose not to use alcohol at all. We also address the serious issues of abuse and high-risk drinking behavior. Alcohol use and abuse is a challenging issue throughout our society, but as a college community, we are committed to working with our students and their families to prevent tragedy and future problem behaviors.

back to top