Mission, Learning Goals, and Assessment
Exercise and physical activity play an important role in improving the quality of life of individuals, including decreasing the risk of disease and injury. The mission of the Exercise Science and Sport Studies Department is to prepare liberally educated men and women for graduate study in exercise and health related fields, and to prepare graduates to function competently and ethically in the fields of exercise science and coaching. Consistent with the Coordinate Mission of the College of Saint Benedict and Saint John's University, the department fosters integrated learning, critical thinking, strong communication skills, exploration of culture and gender related issues, and provide leadership and service opportunities for students.
A student that graduates from CSB/SJU with a minor degree in Exercise Science and Sport Studies will...
- demonstrate the ability to effectively engage in scholarly inquiry and analysis in the area of
Exercise Science and Sports Studies.
- demonstrate the ability to effectively communicate information through disciplinary writing.
- demonstrate the ability to effectively communicate disciplinary information through oral communication.
- demonstrate ability to make ethically reasoned decisions relative to sport and exercise science.
- be academically prepared for graduate study in exercise related fields and/or prepared to function competently in the fields of exercise and sport.