- A medical physician is highly trained in the art and science of the diagnosis and treatment of disease and the maintenance of health.
- Medical schools require a minimum of four years after a basic college degree.
- Beyond medical school there are many specialties to choose from in order to be part of a sports medicine or exercise science team.
- Such specialties might include primary care sports medicine, orthopedic surgery, or cardiology.
- Each specialty has from three to five years of intern and residency training and perhaps an additional one to two years of fellowship training.
- Most medical doctors are employed in clinics or hospitals.